Debugging pthread based apps with gdb

Post by pmuelle » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

i have some problems debugging a multithreaded (pthreads) application
(sigusr1, no breakpoints possible in a thread). Can anyone point me to a
doc that describes how to do this? I found some hints that a patched gdb
is necessary. But i was not able to built it. Is there a pre compiled
binary for i386/glib2 based linux systems available?

Peter

1. pthread debugging with gdb

Not sure if I should post this to a more development-related group or
what, but here goes...

I would like to be able to debug a multithreaded app with gdb. I
installed a patch (gdb-4.17.patch) which was supposed to enable gdb to
handle threads (I really don't know jack about the internals here, so
bear with me). I don't know whether or not I need an updated glibc or
not. Basically, I just don't know anything about this issue.

What I would like are binaries for gdb and whatever else I need to get
into a MT app with gdb.

-or-

Someone to tell me what I need to do to make the afore mentioned
binaries myself (*ack*).

As far as my development env, I'm using stock RH5.1. I think that's
glibc 2.0.7, egcs 1.0.2, gdb 4.17.

Thanks,
James

Oh, by the way, gdb ->info threads doesn't present any info on the new
build with the patch.

2. my linux?

3. debugging pthread apps?

4. networking for linux PDAs

5. debugging curses apps with gdb

6. [Fwd: MOTIF programming.]

7. gdb remote debugging on arm-based system

8. X & Laptop (CT65545)

9. Detecting when my app is being debugged by gdb?

10. Debugging threaded app under GDB?

11. debugging multithreaded RH6.2 linux apps w/ gdb

12. Proper build for pthreads-based app under Linux?

13. pthreads and gdb