creating a new virtual console alongside existing vt100 consoles

creating a new virtual console alongside existing vt100 consoles

Post by ThatFellow5 » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 04:13:48

Hello,
For my own amu*t I am interested in creating a special
console that will use the F12 key. Does anyone know
if it is possible to have the existing Linux consoles
coexisting with the new one? Or would I have to modify the
existing VT100 console? What I want to do is radically
different from a VT100 emulation.
Thanks.

creating a new virtual console alongside existing vt100 consoles

Post by Neil Horma » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:20:26

It sounds to me that what you want to do is create a new tty driver.  Theres  a
pretty good article about that in this months linux journal.
Hope that helps!
Neil

Post by Kasper Dupon » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 05:15:13

> Hello,
> For my own amu*t I am interested in creating a special
> console that will use the F12 key. Does anyone know
> if it is possible to have the existing Linux consoles
> coexisting with the new one? Or would I have to modify the
> existing VT100 console? What I want to do is radically
> different from a VT100 emulation.
> Thanks.

You could do something similar to what screen does. You can
simply write a userspace program, that uses the existing
terminal emulation and implements it's own terminal emulation.
It will not be named /dev/tty12 but rather /dev/pts/1 or
someting similar to that.

If you need to you can get direct access to the screen buffer
using /dev/vcsa12, and you can get direct access to the input
from the keyboard by setting /dev/tty12 in raw mode. In that
case you will however have to reimplement tty switching.
(Just like XFree86 does, or better than that if you like.)

creating a new virtual console alongside existing vt100 consoles

Post by ThatFellow5 » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 00:55:22

Hi,
I went to the website for LJ but didn't find the article.
Can you tell me what the title is?
Thanks much.

>It sounds to me that what you want to do is create a new tty driver.  Theres
>pretty good article about that in this months linux journal.
>Hope that helps!
>Neil

>> Hello,
>> For my own amu*t I am interested in creating a special
>> console that will use the F12 key. Does anyone know
>> if it is possible to have the existing Linux consoles
>> coexisting with the new one? Or would I have to modify the
>> existing VT100 console? What I want to do is radically
>> different from a VT100 emulation.
>> Thanks.

1. Creating new virtual console on the fly?

Hello all:

After searching groups.google.com on and off for some time about this
issue, I decided to post. I have edited my /etc/inittab file to spawn
only one virtual console at boot time (on tty1). It works fine. I also
can enable a bunch of other consoles (e.g. tty2,3,...) with logins by
editing inittab and rebooting. However, I usually do not need several
consoles simultaneously, and so I save memory by running only one.
There are times where I want several virtual consoles: is there a way
to create new ones on the fly, without editing inittab and rebooting,
or is this specially prevented for security reasons? I have tried
stuff like
#su
root#mingetty tty2
//(I press alt-f2. there is nothing there except a blank screen, as
before)
//I try
root#mingetty tty2 login
//nothing
root#mingetty login tty2
root#mingetty /dev/tty2

And so on... After reading and re-reading man pages/HOWTOS I am
stumped.

Also, I use Mozilla for mail. I dont want to start X just to read
email. Does anyone know of any text-based email client that is
stand-alone like mozilla (i.e. doesn't require
qmail/sendmail/fetchmail)?
Thanks!

Alexander Boulgakov

2. Modem and sound card problems

3. create a new console?

4. Compiling nn ???

5. How do you specify a new virtual console/terminal to run minicom?

6. How Is The FeeBSD OS Like and Different Than Say Redhat or Suse LINUX

7. is a virtual console truly virtual?

8. ATI Rage pro drivers

9. Connect a VT100 console to Linux

10. Console vs. vt100 termcap/terminfo

11. Problems with tset and vt100 vs console

12. Console with vt100 Terminal vs VGA monitor - Help

13. Console mp3 player (VT100 AMP ?)