Minimized Linux

Post by Ludwi » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:07:52

How can I do a minimized installation of Linux that supports TCP/IP and
doesn't need more than 30 MB.  Or where can I find info about doing such an
installation?

The HOWTO's I found on this subject resulted in installations of more than
30 MB.  How can I reduce the needed space?

Thanks
Ludwig

Minimized Linux

Post by cbbro.. » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 01:28:49

> How can I do a minimized installation of Linux that supports TCP/IP
> and doesn't need more than 30 MB.  Or where can I find info about
> doing such an installation?
> The HOWTO's I found on this subject resulted in installations of
> more than 30 MB.  How can I reduce the needed space?

There are a whole bunch of "embedded" Linux systems that fit on a
floppy.  Some listed at:

  <http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linuxdistembed.html>
--

http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/resume.html
"You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on

Minimized Linux

Post by Ed Clar » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 05:55:50

>> How can I do a minimized installation of Linux that supports TCP/IP
>> and doesn't need more than 30 MB.  Or where can I find info about
>> doing such an installation?
>> The HOWTO's I found on this subject resulted in installations of
>> more than 30 MB.  How can I reduce the needed space?

>There are a whole bunch of "embedded" Linux systems that fit on a
>floppy.  Some listed at:
>  <http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linuxdistembed.html>

Also do a search on "linux router project".  That's a floppy only system;
the deluxe version uses TWO whole floppies (reformatted for 1.7 meg).

1. lilo and minimize linux

I am trying to fit linux onto a 60 MB harddrive. Obviously, the
drive is too small for a standard linux installation.

My first question is how to install lilo on the drive and make it
boot linux. I tried to partition the drive using: fdisk /dev/hdc (the
drive is connected as secondary IDE master). I just assign
a single partition #1 (hdc1). Then I make the file system using mkfs, and
then mount the harddrive as /mnt/d. Then I copy a few file from
my original RedHat 6.1 over. Here is an output from  "ls -l /mnt/d"

total 927
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         4568 Oct 17 14:33 boot.b
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       285018 Oct 17 16:19 initrd.img
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          250 Oct 17 17:17 lilo.conf
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root        12288 Oct 17 14:30 lost+found
-rw-------   1 root     root        13312 Oct 17 16:21 map
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       622784 Oct 17 16:18 vmlinuz

The new modified lilo.config is as followed:

boot=/dev/hdc
map=/mnt/d/map
install=/mnt/d/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/mnt/d/vmlinuz
 label=linux
 initrd=/mnt/d/initrd.img
 read-only
 root=/dev/hdc1

I then run: /sbin/lilo -C /mnt/d/lilo.conf

I then reboot the system and configure the BIOS to boot from the
secondary master IDE (it can boot up fine from a secondary master IDE
with DOS). However, I only get a bunch of 01 01 01 ... on the screen.

What did I do wrong ? What am I missing ?

I apologize for the long email. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

hung

2. Bye-bye Linux! Hello OpenBSD!

3. minimizing memory requirement for Linux/Xfree86

4. Questions about Linux...

5. Minimize All?

6. Boot to PCI Video Card for install on 7200?

7. labelling minimized shells ...

8. Joystick troubles

9. Minimizing Hard Disk whirring - Can I do this?

10. OSS: Yields Savings, Minimizes Vendor Hassles

11. Minimize/Maximize/Control Buttons Stop Working In X

12. Newbie Enlightenment Prob. - No Minimised icons.

13. Minimizing latency for small socket transactions?