kernel 2.0.34 compile problems

Post by THE Xfre » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

i've tried to add support for my MAD16 sound card by using the kernel's driver,
but the kernel does not compile. I've followed all of the instructions in the
sound HOWTO, the kernel HOWTO, the kernel Readme by Linus, and the Readme.cards
file, and the settings for the driver should be set properly. When I try to
compile the kernel, however, make gives me errors, saying 'undefined reference
to xxxxxx' (the x's represent some sound card related stuff) in several places.
I removed and reinstalled both the kernel source tree and gcc (i know my
version of gcc is correct), and it still doesn't work. It _does_ compile if I
set sound driver support to 'no'. I'm using RedHat 5.1 on an i486, and i just
installed it (for the first time) 3 days ago, so i haven't had a chance to mess
anything up.

if you can help, send an email rather than posting a response.

if this question is in the wrong group, please put it into the group where it
belongs.

kernel 2.0.34 compile problems

Make sure you enable /dev/dsk and /dev/audio support.

--
Jose Santiago

Systems Analyst - Scientific Systems
Komatsu Mining Systems - Peoria Operations
2300 N.E. Adams Street
P.O. Box 240
Peoria, IL 61650-0240

Voice:309-672-7325  Fax:309-672-7753

1. kernel 2.1.34 compiling problems

Sorry.  I would have posted this to the kernel newsgroup, but it seems to
be pretty much dead now, so I stick to here

I have decide to upgrade to kernel 2.1.34, and be on top of things again,
for the _n_th time.

So here I am, took a potshot at reading ./Documents/Changes, checked my
system:

I have:
- Kernel modules         modutils-2.1.33-970412
- Gnu C                  2.7.2.1
- Binutils               2.7.0.9
- Linux C Library        5.4.23
- Dynamic Linker (ld.so) 1.8.5
- Linux C++ Library      2.7.2.1
- Procps                 1.01
- Kbd                    0.91
- Sh-utils               1.16

Hmm...... Everything seems to be all right.  So here I am, running make
dep; make clean, and eveything works all right, no error messages by
either make.  I run make bzImage, it washes the disks for a good hour
(486Dx266, what can you say?  Plenty of RAM though), and at the very end
of the compilation comes up with this perl (pardon the pun) of wisdom:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.34-clean/arch/i386/kernel'
rm -f kernel.o
ld -m elf_i386  -r -o kernel.o i386_ksyms.o process.o signal.o entry.o traps.o irq.o vm86.o bios32.o ptrace.o ioport.o ldt.o setup.o time.o sys_i386.o smp.o trampoline.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.34-clean/arch/i386/kernel'
smp.o: In function `x86_do_profile':
smp.o(.text+0x108c) multiple definitions of `x86_do_profile'
time.o(.text+0x2ec) first defined here
make[1]: *** [kernel.o] Error 1
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

No other errors other then this.  Ideas?

I'll try patching to 2.1.35, and trying again, but if you know what the
reason of this fateful unfairness is, I will appreciate if you'll kindly
inform me.

--
Stanislav N. Vardomskiy - Lisgarnet project leader. * I once was called  LART
a Bastard, and took no offence.   He called me a user, and I killed his  LART

2. No swap space define

3. please help: newly compiled kernel cannot compile (2.0.34 slackware)

4. change ip adress in c program

5. Compiling Kernel 2.0.34 to Kernel 2.2.7

6. Problems with logresolve.pl

7. Kernel Compile: Problem with 2.0.34 + RH 5.1

8. Printer Tray needed...

9. Make problems re-compiling kernel 2.0.34-0.6

10. Problems compiling kernel 2.0.34 on RH5, HELP!

11. Slackware and 2.0.34 kernel compile errors

12. Compiling Linux 2.0.34 kernel with 386 or Pentium option ?

13. HELP : Compiling linux kernel 2.0.34