PANIC: INIT: segmentation violation ...

Post by Foldy Lajo » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 23:21:28

Hi!

Today I got the message above on a SuSE 7.2 machine running kernel 2.4.9.
The machine was heavily reading (rsync-ing) a RAID-1 disk when this
happened, and I guess the SEGV came from the kernel. Has anybody any
similar experience?

regards,
Lajos Foldy

1. Linus BK tree crashes with PANIC: INIT: segmentation violation

Hi,

I've been trying to get a current 2.5 kernel up and running but I've
hit a wall.  When I run my machine with a current kernel I get the
following message to my terminal, repeated ad nausium:

  PANIC: INIT: segmentation violation at 0x804a08c (code)! sleeping for 30 seconds!

I've been working off of Linus' BK repository and was finally able to
get a "working" kernel when I backed up to approximately 2002-12-30
(which is sometime between 2.5.53 and 2.5.54).  That kernel works just
fine.

Sometime between December 30 and January 1 a patch was added that
causes the kernel to go into an infinite loop of Oopses.  Then
sometime later the behavior changed to the INIT problem I mentioned
above.

Does anyone have any clue how to deal with this?  I can assure you
that it is NOT a hardware problem (otherwise why would the same
hardware work with 2.4 and 2.5.53+?)  The only change being made here
is the kernel.

I have not had a chance to back out each and every ChangeSet
individually between Jan1 and Dec30 to figure out what was causing the
stream of oopses -- nor am I even confident that that would lead me to
a solution for the "PANIC: INIT" problem.

In case anyone cares, the most recent ChangeSet from my
confirmed-working (2.5.53+) tree is labeled:

  Make x86 platform choice strings more easily selectable

However I have not guaranteed that this is the Changeset just before
it failed (I'm not enough of a bk guru to figure out how to pull down
one changeset at a time).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....  I'd be more than happy to
try things out for people if you have tests you want me to run.

Thanks!

-derek

PS: I am not subscribed directly so please CC me on your replies.

-

2. ATI RADEON

3. INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..

4. removing software package (lpp etc.)

5. 2.4.3: INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation...

6. Cause of occasional blinking under XFree86?

7. INIT panic: Segmentation violation at (nil)!

8. ipfwadm and local subnets -- not working

9. INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..

10. init: panic segmentation violation

11. INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..

12. PANIC: Init: Segmentation Violation - I'm giving up.. Redhat Colgate, .30 kernel

13. "init" segmentation violation on Redhat 6.2