Kernel change summary 1.1.80 -> 1.1.81

Post by Russell Nels » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 14:20:32

These changes are archived on ftp.emlist.com:pub/kchanges and
http://www.nvg.unit.no/linux-changes/index.html.  I cannot answer
questions about Linux -- I merely summarize the kernel patches after
reading them.  I try to make them useful to everyone, but kernel
hackers should take them with a grain of salt and read the patches
themselves.  I'm not going to bother summarizing the sparc, m68k, and
alpha architecture changes until the respective port is working.

Matti Aarnio added to CREDITS
i386/config.in has EATA-DMA (DPT,NEC&ATT for ISA,EISA,PCI) support added.
The kernel is now be able to execute binaries directly off of the IDE
        cdrom, provided it is mounted with the default block size of 1024.
Switch to release 3.1 of the SoundBlaster Pro CD-ROM driver.  Working
        to support the CD200 and the Teac CD-55A drives.  AT-BUS style
        device numbering no longer used: use SCSI style now.  So, the
        first "found" device has MINOR 0, regardless of the jumpered
        drive ID. This implies modifications to the /dev/sbpcd*
        entries for some people, but will help the DAU (german TLA,
        english: "newbie", maybe ;-) to install his "first" system
        from a CD.
Switch to release 2.03 of the ATAPI cd-rom driver.
Switch to release 3.8 of the ide driver.  Incorporates changes needed
        for the ATAPI, and improves probing.
SCSI tape driver can now go directly to end of data (but you lose the
        file number).
aha1542, in2000 modularized.
Extra space left to add SCSI modules (lot of changes here).
PCI support improved (DPT SmartCache/Raid added).
Argh. removed all the socket allocation altogether: it's in the inode
        now.  Much simpler code.
--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?

1. Kernel change summary 1.1.79 -> 1.1.80

These changes are archived on ftp.emlist.com:pub/kchanges and
http://www.nvg.unit.no/linux-changes/index.html.  I cannot answer
questions about Linux -- I merely summarize the kernel patches after
reading them.  I try to make them useful to everyone, but kernel
hackers should take them with a grain of salt and read the patches
themselves.  I'm not going to bother summarizing the sparc, m68k, and
alpha architecture changes until the respective port is working.

More spelling errors corrected.  More spelling errors introduced.  Sigh.
Peter MacDonald added to CREDITS (back in patch78, sorry)
Dario Ballabio, Jochen Hein, and Scott Snyder added to CREDITS
ARCNET driver included (but turned off by default in i386/config.in).
More architecture changes (so what else were you expecting??)  Most of
        these changes don't affect the i386 code except to move it
        from file to file and subdir to subdir.
Oops, limit the Unix domain sockets to 128.
Lots of renaming in shared memory code.
New stack creation code in fork().
I/O region management has been moved into a new kernel file of its own.
--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?
Potsdam, NY 13676 | Congress will be corrupt as long as it regulates commerce

2. Best New 3D video card for Linux?

3. Kernel change summary 1.1.81 -> 1.1.82

4. Stupid Key Mapping Tricks! (A few useful tips)

5. Where are kernel changes -> 1.1.81

6. named error messages - help

7. Kernel>1.1.81 Support EIDE???

8. slackware 2.3.0 boot problem (child #n died with code ff00)

9. Linux 1.1.80 >

10. netstat fixed > 1.1.80??