RedHat 3.03 and Comtrol RocketPort Driver Install Problem

RedHat 3.03 and Comtrol RocketPort Driver Install Problem

Post by Grahame M. Kell » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi All,

I am having problems getting the Comtrol RocketPort driver to install
correctly under the RedHat 3.03 distribution (Kernel 1.2.13).

I have compiled the kernel and rebooted Linux, additionally I ran
"make clean", "make all" from the comtrol makefile. All without any
problems.  However if I execute the rc.rocket script I get the following
output..."Symbols from kernel don't match:"

rc.rocket
tty_check_change undefined
free_pages undefined
tty_hangup undefined
__down undefined
tty_unregister_driver undefined
kfree_s undefined
schedule undefined
verify_area undefined
__get_free_pages undefined
tty_wait_until_sent undefined
tty_std_termios undefined
timer_active undefined
timer_table undefined
current undefined
wake_up_interruptible undefined
printk undefined
tq_timer undefined
jiffies undefined
tty_register_driver undefined
interruptible_sleep_on undefined
tty_hung_up_p undefined
kmalloc undefined
wake_up undefined
Failed to load module! The symbols from kernel 1.2.13 don't match 1.2.13

I can directly load the rocket.o device driver by using "insmod
rocket.o" however this of course does not build the necessary
/dev/Rtty's needed for i/o.

Has anyone how uses a rocketport device got any ideas?

I am using the latest device driver 1.10 from MIT.

Any assistance would be most appreciated,
Cheers Grahame

Post by Phil Lewi » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hi All,

> I am having problems getting the Comtrol RocketPort driver to install
> correctly under the RedHat 3.03 distribution (Kernel 1.2.13).

> I have compiled the kernel and rebooted Linux, additionally I ran
> "make clean", "make all" from the comtrol makefile. All without any
> problems.  However if I execute the rc.rocket script I get the following
> output..."Symbols from kernel don't match:"

> rc.rocket
> tty_check_change undefined

Quote:> wake_up undefined
> Failed to load module! The symbols from kernel 1.2.13 don't match 1.2.13

> I can directly load the rocket.o device driver by using "insmod
> rocket.o" however this of course does not build the necessary
> /dev/Rtty's needed for i/o.

> Has anyone how uses a rocketport device got any ideas?

> I am using the latest device driver 1.10 from MIT.

> Any assistance would be most appreciated,
> Cheers Grahame

The device files are not created by the module - just the installation. Just
find out the major and minor device numbers for the tty's and go from there .
Also try recompiling the module with the kernel you actually use and everything
should be ok. MAke sure you have an up to date modules package also.

Phil Lewis

.

Post by Grahame M. Kell » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>         This is a classic symptom of a kernel compiled without
> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y.

Hi Kit,

Yes it is the classic problem with MODVERSION. But that was not the
problem. It turns out that Comtrol.com's shell install and setup script
is incorrectly selecting the rocket.o file.  Manually, I insmod the
correct rocket.o and now all is well.

I have been in contact with comtrol's tech support who advise that
the are needing to check out their driver with the Linux kernels

Quote:> 1.2.0.

Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers Grahame

1. HELP: RedHat 3.03 CD install problem

MS Windows 3.1 recognizes my CD ROM, but Linux doesn't.

I bought a Multimedia kit that came with a HiFidelity 16 bit
sound card and a IDE CD ROM.  When MS Windows boots, the
CD driver prints to the screen that the CD ROM is an
IDE/ATAPI CD ROM.  But when I am installing Linux (using
the Floppyless install mechanism that RedHat provides)
it can not find the CD ROM, and then I get a kernel panic
because it can not mount the root filesystem (which I am
guessing is the CD ROM).

When MS Windows boots, it initializes the sound card, and
the initialization prints to the screen that the card is
being initialized in Sound Blaster Pro mode.  So I retried
the Linux installation choosing Sound Blaster as my CD ROM
interface (instead of IDE).  It prompts me for boot parameters.
I first tried no parameters.  It probed 20 some odd ports
looking for the CD ROM.  It didn't find it, then it paniced
as above.  I retried the installation using the port numbers
the MS Win sound card installation program reports are being
used.  It reported 3 ports.  One port was the CD ROM, one
was some chip name or something, and one had no clear
qualifier, but I assume it is the sound card it self.  I have
retried all of those, and nothing has worked.  My boot param
line is of the form:  "sbpcd=0x170,SoundBlaster"
I also tried choosing IDE as my CD ROM interface, and then
adding the boot param, but that failed also.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

I'm going to try building floppy disks tonight, but I don't
have much hope that that is the problem.

Thanks!

Jeff

2. Multiple OS Partitions

3. Redhat 3.03 install problem

4. rcp command

5. Release of the Comtrol Rocketport Intelligent Serial Board driver.

6. Help: Printers and Equinox Megaplex

7. Action Request System (Remedy)

8. Trying to install/configure Comtrol RocketPort on Linux 9

9. RedHat 3.03 failed to install

10. Installing ftape on RedHat 3.03 Linux

11. Installed Redhat 3.03 and now telnet doesn't work...

12. Installing Redhat 3.03 Linux on a Compaq Prosignia 300