Interrupt handler problem

Post by Arnaud Westenber » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have the following problem:

To address my hardware I had to write low-level read and write
functions. These functions first write the desired address to the base
address of my hardware and then I can read or write the contents of the
desired address from the base address plus 1.
(could somebody tell me the name of this sort of memory addressing?)

The problem begins at interrupt time. The lowlevel hardware access is so
slow that I loose the next interrupt and message (no hardware buffer). I
have to read several successive bytes wich means several low-level
operations. Normally one would use insb.

This problem occurs on a P160, on a 486 with hardware wich is direct
addressable I have no problems.

Does someone has any suggestions?

TIA

Greetings Arnaud

Interrupt handler problem

Post by Mario Klebs » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

>To address my hardware I had to write low-level read and write
>functions. These functions first write the desired address to the base
>address of my hardware and then I can read or write the contents of the
>desired address from the base address plus 1.

Ugly :-(

Quote:>(could somebody tell me the name of this sort of memory addressing?)

Multiplexing???

Quote:>The problem begins at interrupt time. The lowlevel hardware access is so
>slow that I loose the next interrupt and message (no hardware buffer). I
>have to read several successive bytes wich means several low-level
>operations. Normally one would use insb.

WHen having multiplexed register access, you need to disable
interrupts (didn't someone wrote, that cli() shall not be used
anymore?) prior to the first access, and you have to reenable the
original state after the second access.

73, Mario
--

Interrupt handler problem

Post by Arnaud Westenber » Sun, 14 May 2000 04:00:00

> WHen having multiplexed register access, you need to disable
> interrupts (didn't someone wrote, that cli() shall not be used
> anymore?) prior to the first access, and you have to reenable the
> original state after the second access.

True, you have to use spinlocks now.

Still nobody with a great idea to spead up the code?

Greetings Arnaud

1. Problems with interrupt handler

Hello,

i have a problem with an interrupt handler. When the interrupt occurs,
I got the following message:

Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

I am using the redhat 6.0 distributen with Kernel 2.2.5. The interrupt
handler does nothing else, than sending a sigusr2 to an application.

TIA
S. Heursch

2. em86

3. Problems installing Interrupt handler

4. IDE and SCSI coexistence

5. Handlers, Handlers, Handlers

6. Customizing CDE login screen

7. interrupt handler

8. Q: 19'' TEKTRONIX 4211 Monitor on VGA ?

9. aiee, killing interrupt handler

10. aiee, killed interrupt handler - kernel panic

11. driver: interrupt handler not getting called

12. Serializing data & device access across file ops and interrupt handler

13. SMP aic7xxx 2.4.3 boot panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler