mounting ufs filesystems read/write

Post by Wim Nederen » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have a PC, installed Solarisx86 release 2.6, MS Windows NT and Redhat 5.2 on it.

I wish to access my Solaris partitions from linux.

I just finished installing kernel 2.2.0-pre4.
I compiled the kernel not using modules (because I'm afraid it interferes with my 2.0.36 installation),
with UFS filesystem support and Solaris x86 patition table support.

After booting, 'dmesg' nicely reports my Solaris partitions:
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 <solaris: [s0] hda5 [s1] hda6 [s2] hda7 [s5] hda8 [s6] hda9 [s7] hda10 > hda3
 hdc: hdc1 hdc2 <solaris: [s2] hdc5 [s4] hdc6 [s5] hdc7 [s6] hdc8 [s7] hdc9 > hdc3 hdc4 < hdc10 >

Succeeded to mount hdc9:
 mount -v -t ufs -o ufstype=sun /dev/hdc9 /tmpmnt
output:
/dev/hdc9 on /tmpmnt type ufs (rw,ufstype=sun)

Reading all files on the partition is possible, but touching a file on it results in:

touch: /tmpmnt/wim/wimpy: Read-only file system

Did anybody manage to mount ufs filesystems read/write?

1. How do I mount read-write a UFS filesystem from a floppy disk?

Hi to all,

I want to boot my Sparcstation20 from a floppy with Linux and then
mount as read-write the SunOS partitions on it. I have tried Debian
with some 2.2.x kernel (sparc architecture) but it refused to mount it
read-write (only read).
Please note I haven't got any CDs with a sparc distribution of Linux.

Are there really any floppy distributions supporting read-write UFS
filesystems for SPARC?

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, links or anything else.

Chris Vradis

2. I search professional applications for linux, jet specially electronic cad program like "orcad"

3. Read/Write on UFS filesystems under 2.2.1

4. ANNOUNCE: scsiinfo-4.7.0.15 available. Includes qlc, qus, mpt support.

5. How to boot in single user mode, the root filesystem mounted in read/WRITE mode

6. how to boot from cdrom and mount a mirrored root volume?

7. Inconsistent UFS Filesystem after DiskSuite write error on submirror

8. how to invoke another shell inside an shell and then execute the command

9. Write access problem of UFS filesystem (Solaris x86)

10. reading "byteswapped" ufs filesystem

11. Problem to mount ufs filesystem

12. mounting UFS filesystems

13. Mounting plain file as UFS filesystem ?