Am I seeing IPv5, or am I hallucinating?

Post by Warren Youn » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:22:07

> Am I hallucinating?

Yes, you're hallucinating.  The IP version number is 4 bits of the first
byte in the IP header.  The upper 4 bits are the length of the IP header
measured in double-words.  Since the IP header is frequently 20 bytes
long, that 4-bit length field is often '5'.  You're no doubt reading the
wrong field.
--
= Warren -- See the *ix pages at http://www.*port.com/~tangent/ix/
=

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. little problem with Solaris 8 on a HP LC2000r NetServer

3. Cloning a boot disk...

5. File locking morons

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. Help with Samba/Cups Printer Sharing

10. I am si**y am I?

11. Using the last Command - What am I Seeing?

12. What am I seeing in Xload?