How to change retransmission timeout for a TCP socket?

How to change retransmission timeout for a TCP socket?

Post by Fredda » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:47:14

Hi,

I'm developing under RH 7.3 and making a TCP app.

How can I change the RTO (retransmission timout) parameters?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings Fredrik.

Post by Neil Horma » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 22:19:15

> Hi,

> I'm developing under RH 7.3 and making a TCP app.

> How can I change the RTO (retransmission timout) parameters?

> Thanks in advance.

> Greetings Fredrik.

the sysctl files in /proc/sys/net/ipv4 contain all the adjustable tcp
parameters for tcp, but a quick look at the tcp man page suggests that
you won't find what your looking for there.  There are send and receive
timeouts described in section 7 of the socket man page (SO_RCVTIMEO and
SO_SNDTIMEO), which may be what your looking for.  Unfortunately for
you, the man page indicates that they can not be altered.  It does
suggest, however, that if you need these parameters adjusted they can be
simulated with the alarm or setitimer calls.

HTH
Neil

How to change retransmission timeout for a TCP socket?

Post by Fredda » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 23:38:52

Hello,

The problem is solved.

Just changed the TCP_RTO_MAX constant in the tcp.h file,
the tcp will be more aggressive but it's just used in a local
environment so...

Thanks,
      Freddan.

Post by Lew Pitche » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:47:46

> Hello,

> The problem is solved.

> Just changed the TCP_RTO_MAX constant in the tcp.h file,
> the tcp will be more aggressive but it's just used in a local
> environment so...

I hope you recompiled your kernel to pick up the new value.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

How to change retransmission timeout for a TCP socket?

Post by Fredda » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:34:50

Quote:> I hope you recompiled your kernel to pick up the new value.

Yupp I did.