How to build Debian binary distribution from source distribution?

How to build Debian binary distribution from source distribution?

Post by Milan Durovi » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello all!

Is there a way to automatically build *.deb files in binary-i386
subdirectories (ie. admin, base etc) from the files in source
subdirectories (again admin, base, etc)?

I wish to constantly update binary distribution, but downloading
binary packages requires a lot of bandwidth. I hope to able to
download only "*.diff.gz" files and rebuild binary packages from the
sources, saving on bandwidth and time.

Is this possible?
Is this documented somewhere?

Regards,
Milan

Post by J.H.M. Dass » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Is there a way to automatically build *.deb files in binary-i386
>subdirectories (ie. admin, base etc) from the files in source
>subdirectories (again admin, base, etc)?

There is no fully automated way yet, as there is no source dependency
mechanism for Debian's source packages yet.

Quote:>I wish to constantly update binary distribution, but downloading binary
>packages requires a lot of bandwidth. I hope to able to download only
>"*.diff.gz" files and rebuild binary packages from the sources, saving on
>bandwidth and time.

>Is this possible?

Yes. Provided you make sure you have the appropriate development packages
(compilers, libraries, "fakeroot" etc.) installed.

Quote:>Is this documented somewhere?

Yes. Either with dpkg or dpkg-dev. The approach is more or less as follows:
- unpack the debian source package by "dpkg-source -x thesource.dsc"
  (this will untar and apply the debianisation .diff.gz, and make
  debian/rules executable)
- "cd thesource" and run "fakeroot debian/rules binary". This will build
  the package and result in (one or more) ".deb" files above the "thesource"
  directory.

HTH,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch

1. debian-cd source distribution contains binary for mkisofs?

Hi!

I was surprised to find out that debian-cd_1_99_14_orig_tar.gz file,
which is to be found in the SOURCE distribution of Debian (hamm),
contains a BINARY file, an ELF executable of mkisofs program. Is this
a mistake, an exception or is it common to find binaries in source
distributions?

Regards,
Milan

2. Solaris Guide

3. Apache binary distribution missing binary

4. MAC change

5. distrib a system for software distribution - an idea for software distribution

6. Kernals

7. Debian Linux Distribution Release 1.1 Now Available

8. Shithead Distribution?

9. Debian distribution disks

10. German Chip distribution of Debian and applixware

11. which distribution to choose: debian or bogus?

12. Modem troubles with Debian distribution

13. I need 2 files from the Debian Distribution