SCO libraries on Linux??

Post by Joe » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm new to Linux, so please bear with me...

To my amu*t, I got (SCO) Informix SQL running on my Linux box in no
time. But, of course, I'm unable to compile stuff using directly the SCO
ESQL/C libraries ...

Is there any way to convert or modify these libraries (or any SCO
libraries for that matter) to be able to use them under Linux?

Thank you for your advice.

Joe

Post by Mr. Caldwe » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I'm new to Linux, so please bear with me...

>To my amu*t, I got (SCO) Informix SQL running on my Linux box in no
>time. But, of course, I'm unable to compile stuff using directly the SCO
>ESQL/C libraries ...

Hmmm, I think you would need the SCO header and include files for that set of
libs but it sounds painfull.

Quote:>Is there any way to convert or modify these libraries (or any SCO
>libraries for that matter) to be able to use them under Linux?

Real mail address: jcaldwel at iquest dot net
code word is notaspam put in first line of message
no code word == trashed message

SCO libraries on Linux??

Post by José R. Valver » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm new to Linux, so please bear with me...

> To my amu*t, I got (SCO) Informix SQL running on my Linux box in no
> time. But, of course, I'm unable to compile stuff using directly the SCO
> ESQL/C libraries ...

> Is there any way to convert or modify these libraries (or any SCO
> libraries for that matter) to be able to use them under Linux?

    That's because you are mixing binary formats. But it's easy: instead
of using stock gcc, use a cross-compiler: i.e. one that will run on your
Linux box, but will generate SCO (and link against) code instead.

    I haven't tried it, so you may also need to modify the linker (ld),
but that should do the trick. You'll end up with a SCO executable, which
is no problem to run as you have already discovered.

    Building the cross-compiler is easy: just download GCC sources, and
at the initial configuration step specify you want it to generate SCO
output. See the INSTALL file for details.

                                jr

1. sco-list: Re: gcc and sco libraries, MySQL, PHP3 and Apache

You might want to grab ftp.celestial.com:/pub/getglobals, a perl script
that extracts global information from '*.o', '*.a', and '*.so' files.  I
run this on all the libraries on the system putting the output in
/usr/local/lib/globals which I can then grep for undefined variables when
linking fails.  It isn't pretty, but it works.

This same script works on several flavors of Unix including SCO, Linux,
Solaris, and SGI INDY.

Bill
--

UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676

A Galileo could no more be elected president of the United States than
he could be elected Pope of Rome.  Both high posts are reserved for men
favored by God with an extraordinary genius for swathing the bitter
facts of life in bandages of self-illusion.
                -- H. L. Mencken

2. PCOMM Downloading in a script file.

3. Sco Emulation, linking to sco libraries in *BSD binary?

4. How to tell why my Linux Box keeps crashing

5. Is there any library support SCO binary under Linux?

6. DNS and routing problem

7. SCO Unix libraries and Linux Development

8. HELP: Ethernet Card PE-1200CT/E Pocket LAN Adapter?

9. Linking SCO UNIX libraries to Linux programs

10. SCO static libraries with Linux

11. libraries libraries libraries

12. HELP!!! Fortran library or Linux library error!

13. biz.sco.* replaced by comp.unix.sco.*; biz.sco.* newsgroups removed.