rewritable cds

Post by mike_mcc1 » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

is there anyway to get rewritable cds to read in linux?  i'm running red
hat 6.1 with the version of the kernel that they released.  i have a ricoh
mp6200s burner on an intio scsi adapter.

rewritable cds

Post by David T. Bla » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> is there anyway to get rewritable cds to read in linux? i'm
> running red hat 6.1 with the version of the kernel that they
> released. i have a ricoh mp6200s burner on an intio scsi adapter.

We have such a system set up at work. No worries.

Not all CDROMs can read RW disks though - so be careful.

--
Dave Blake

rewritable cds

Post by Lew Pitch » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>> is there anyway to get rewritable cds to read in linux? i'm
>> running red hat 6.1 with the version of the kernel that they
>> released. i have a ricoh mp6200s burner on an intio scsi adapter.

>We have such a system set up at work. No worries.

>Not all CDROMs can read RW disks though - so be careful.

I've found, with my Mitsumi CDR4802TE and various CDRW disks
that, although the CD burner can read the CDRW volumes, there
is a lot of variance in which other CDROM (and audio CD) drives
can read the CDRW volumes. An audio CD I created on CDRW could
only be read on the Mitsumi CDR, and my stereo CD player; it
could not be read by either of my data CD-ROM drives or by
my Sony Diskman.

However, I have not had any problems with CDR disks; they seem
to be readable in all drives.

My guess is that a large number of CD drives are sensitive to
the specifics of CDRW media, and sometimes cannot cope with
the disk itself.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

rewritable cds

Post by Dave Pla » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>My guess is that a large number of CD drives are sensitive to
>the specifics of CDRW media, and sometimes cannot cope with
>the disk itself.

Correct.  The reflectivity of CDRW media is much less than a Red Book
manufactured CD, or an Orange Book CD-R.  Older CD-ROM drives, and
audio CD players don't get a strong enough RF signal from their
photodiode to read the discs.

Newer CD-ROM drives (tagged as being "MultiRead-compatible") have an
automatic gain control in their front-end circuitry, and can read the
weaker signal from a CD-RW (although not always at the same speed as a
manufactured or CD-R disc).

--

Visit the Jade Warrior home page:  http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior/

1. Rewritable CD Drives

I am looking into buying some sort of rewritable CD drive.

1)  I would like some info on what good/bad points of different manufacturers
    drives.  Applicable faqs / web pages would be great too.

2)  From what I understand to write the drive, you can't just copy to it,
    but have to use a backup type program, because writing expects a
    constant stream of data (like ftape).  Is this true?

3)  Is there any current Linux packages for writing to a CD?

Thanks Much

                                    Regards,
                                        Christopher

|         Christopher R. Wingert                    Software Engineer         |

2. Unified IDE patch rolled into latest dev kernel?

3. problem in reading ReWritable CD

4. New Microsoft Mouse!!

5. Memorex rewritable CD

6. UNIX OS Freeware

7. Deleting rewritable CD's

8. re-chmod

9. Backups via Rewritable CD - Recommendations?

10. used rewritable CD ROM

11. Memorex E-IDE Rewritable CD Drive

12. ReWritable CD drives

13. CD-RW drives & linux.(Rewritable CD-ROM drives)