Loopback device

Post by Arthur D. Jeriji » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

        I remember there being a discussion long ago about a loopback
device, which will allow an ordinary file to be mounted as a block
device.  Does anybody know if this critter exists for Linux 1.2.13 or
1.3.xx?
        Thanks!

--adj

Loopback device

Post by Dr A O V Le Bla » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>    I remember there being a discussion long ago about a loopback
>device, which will allow an ordinary file to be mounted as a block
>device.  Does anybody know if this critter exists for Linux 1.2.13 or
>1.3.xx?

This device exists as a module.  The latest version I saw, lo.3.5c, was
distributed from somewhere at Cambridge, and I have a copy at
ftp.mcc.ac.uk in /pub/linux/misc/loopback.  It worked for the most
part, but sometimes hung the kernel at 1.2.9 or thereabouts.
Several people sent me different versions at about the same time, but
there were no major departures from this particular version.

     -- Owen

1. Loopback device as root device

I've been running a Linux system for some time now, and fool around with
it all the time. So... I'm booting from floppies once in a while to
recover problems that I cause for myself.

Anyway, I decided to follow the Loopback device as a root device mini0
HOWTO, and as far as I can tell, I have everything set up correctly. I
want to use this instead of floppies.

The kernel loads and initializes, then loads the initial ramdisk image
into memory, and it says that the ext2 partition was mounted successfully.
However, immediately after this, I get attempt to read past end of device
errors (and something about a bread error). It almost seems that the
partition type isn't recognized or something. It doesn't even start
to execute the /linuxrc file.

When I already have Linux loaded, I can mount the file just fine.

Does anyone know what's happening here?

TIA,
Steve

2. 2.5.69-bk8: sunrpc

3. :All of your loopback devices are in use.

4. Broken Permissions?

5. loopback device - documentation?

6. linux 10/100 FE parameters

7. Booting problem on LOOPback device

8. apache

9. ran out of loopback devices

10. Redhat 6.2, mkinitrd, and loopback devices

11. Large offsets w/ loopback device?

12. NET-2 : loopback device problem !

13. Loopback device