What about USB devices -- drivers available soon?

What about USB devices -- drivers available soon?

Post by Joe Us » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know when the big distributions will support USB
devices?

I have a USB scanner and modem, and I can't use either with the
6.0 release I am using.

Thanks for any info.

                                                        -- WB

Post by Doug DeJul » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Does anyone know when the big distributions will support USB
>devices?

>I have a USB scanner and modem, and I can't use either with the
>6.0 release I am using.

I wanted to point out that there's a *big* difference between "support
USB devices" and supporting a lot of differing USB devices.

Saying "USB" is almost like saying "PCMCIA".  They have a lot in
common -- hot plugging for one, and a variety of devices *some* of
which work under common interfaces for another.

Consider modems.  Almost all PCMCIA non-winmodems provide the same
interface.  So, the Linux PCMCIA drivers work for almost all of them,
without any special knowledge or configuration.  The same driver works
for just about any PCMCIA device that provides a simple serial
interface, such as serial ports and barcode wands.

Scanners are different.

Similarly, support for USB keyboards, mice, simple serial devices
(eg. modems) and printers should come relatively quickly (already in
some kernels).  For less standardized devices such as scanners, it
probably makes sense to pester the device manufacturer for specs, or
watch the "SANE" project.
--

HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/

1. USB device has no driver in /proc/bus/usb/devices

I've got a Atmel-based DWL-120A USB NIC, and I'm trying to get my new Debian
installation (2.6 kernel) to recognize it.

The /proc/bus/usb/devices file contains an entry for this card, which I can
recognize by its vendor ID.  The entry, however, shows the "driver" field
as a blank.  I have an atmel driver, but installing that module doesn't
help because I don't know how to link the USB device to the driver module.

'dmesg' shows that a USB device is connected to the USB port, but it doesn't
assign it a device name (eth0 or wlan0 would be nice).  Therefore,
'ifconfig' and 'iwconfig' don't recognize a NIC.

What do I need to do to get the kernel to recognize that this is a
configurable wireless LAN card, rather than just a generic USB device of
some kind?

Thanks.

Gary

2. What happened to a stable kernel?

3. USB modem trouble: USB device not claimed by any driver

4. best filesystem for CF on linux

5. Epson USB 1650U - "No devices available"??

6. Is there a uclinux Port for the c167?

7. USB driver code now available (wacom tablet)

8. request: libXm.so.1 file

9. ANNOUNCE: logitech USB wheel driver available

10. Fritz USB drivers available

11. Device driver calling another device driver.

12. Device driver question (generic device driver)

13. Driver for Logitech pointing devices available?