Kernel Splash Screen?

Post by James Moge » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I am embedding x86 linux and want to "cover up" all the text output of
the kernel and sysvinit with a simple low-res graphic.  Like the Windows
splash screen or what Corel has done with theirs.  I've checked out
Aurora, but that only covers up sysvinit.  Any ideas?

--
       James Moger
===---------------------===

Kernel Splash Screen?

Post by Andi Klee » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I am embedding x86 linux and want to "cover up" all the text output of
> the kernel and sysvinit with a simple low-res graphic.  Like the Windows
> splash screen or what Corel has done with theirs.  I've checked out
> Aurora, but that only covers up sysvinit.  Any ideas?

This could cause you some trouble, because some kernel driver developers
want their copyright messages to be displayed (Caldera tried to do this
in the past, but they had to back down because of the protests)

-Andi

Kernel Splash Screen?

Post by H. Peter Anv » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system

Quote:

> > I am embedding x86 linux and want to "cover up" all the text output of
> > the kernel and sysvinit with a simple low-res graphic.  Like the Windows
> > splash screen or what Corel has done with theirs.  I've checked out
> > Aurora, but that only covers up sysvinit.  Any ideas?

> This could cause you some trouble, because some kernel driver developers
> want their copyright messages to be displayed (Caldera tried to do this
> in the past, but they had to back down because of the protests)

There is nothing that requires you to have the console on the VGA,
though (for good reason.)  Redirecting it to a serial port is
perfectly OK IMNSHO.

          -hpa