kernel 2.1.98 and libc 5.4.44

Post by Mark » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

I upgraded both my kernel and libc and now make and parport modules do not
seem to work.
The parport modules might work if I could recompile, but make is causing all
kinds of greef.
I downloaded the latest source and patches for make from sunsite, but it
still gives me a Seg
Fault when trying to compile make.

server:/tmp/make-3.76.1# ./make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/make-3.76.1'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Segmentation fault
server:/tmp/make-3.76.1#

That is with make 3.76 with patch 3.76.1

kernel 2.1.98 and libc 5.4.44

Post by Ian and Iri » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/changes says old make will break with new
libc. Get a precompiled binary, or temporarily go back to old libc to
compile new make, then install new libc and remake make.

kernel 2.1.98 and libc 5.4.44

Post by Mark » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

I got make working by doing what you said.  I've also notices that I cannot
print since the libc upgrade.  What do I need to do to get it working?

Thanks
Mark

Post by Ingo Rohlof » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

> I got make working by doing what you said.  I've also notices that I cannot
> print since the libc upgrade.  What do I need to do to get it working?

Well check if you got your device names right:
As far as I remember
lp1 has become lp0  (and so on...)

so long
  Ingo

--
Please remove .PLOPP at end of mail-adress, if you want to reach
me. I'm sorry for that inconvenience, but I'm fed up of spammers.

1. HELP: Libc 5.4.44 undefined symbols

I just downloaded the source to libc
5.4.44
and while it compiled ok, I keep getting these errors when I compile other
programs that link to the new libc:

/usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to `__stop___libc_subinit'
/usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to `__start___libc_subinit'

In fact as soon as the library gets installed, I keep getting the above
messages:
undefined reference to `__stop___libc_subinit'
undefined reference to `__start___libc_subinit'

and nothing works.  I have to reboot with an emergency diskette
and point the libc.so.5 symbolic link back to libc.so.5.4.38

I ran nm -n on the new libc
and I see the symbols for the said routines,

         U __start___libc_subinit
         U __stop___libc_subinit
00016ab0 ? _init
00019cd0 t __do_global_dtors_aux
00019cd0 t gcc2_compiled.
00019d00 t fini_dummy
00019d10 T __assert_perror_fail
00019db4 T __assert_fail
00019e50 t set_progname
00019e98 T setenv
[snip]

Any ideas what is wrong?  I compiled virgin sources that I got from
sunsite, followed the instructions, RTFMd, but I can't find a solution to
this.

PS.  I checked precompiled binaries, and these don't have the problem.
     I do have binutils-2.8.1.0.15 installed.

Martin

Martin Imrisek         "I've done . . . questionable things.

                          wouldn't let you into heaven for."

2. Problems with Diamond Stealth 3D 3240 S3 Virge VX

3. libc 5.4.44 installation problems

4. Linux, XFree86 and Autocad.

5. libc 5.4.44: missing argz.h

6. Noise

7. Trying to install libc.so.5.4.44 (long)

8. Urgent ::: !! lilo loader doesn't load the kernel ....

9. Odd scandir behaviour; libc.so.5.4.44

10. Problems with libc.so.5.4.44

11. Red hat 5.0, Libc 5.4.44 and Staroffice 4.0 SP3

12. Can't build libc 5.4.44, missing stddef.h

13. compiling 2.2.x with egcs and libc.so.5.4.44