2.0 Kernel compile problems

Post by Rachel Slatki » Mon, 25 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to compile a new kernel with support for a SCSI CD-ROM drive.
My current kernel version is 2.0.28.  I decided to go ahead and download
the latest tarball, which I believe is 2.0.30.  When I unpacked the new
source (w/ tar xvfpz) and tried to run make menuconfig, I got an error
that it didn't have permission to run the file lxdialog, which it had just
compiled.  Manually changing the permissions on this file allowed
menuconfig to run, but similar problems happened with the sound
configuration, and then again with other programs when I did 'make dep'.

I manually fixed the execute permissions on the files it was complaining
about and then (finally) ran 'make zImage'.  It ran for a few minutes, and
died with:

Quote:> consolemap.c: In function `con_set_default_unimap':
> consolemap.c:404: `dfont_unitable' undeclared (first use this function)
> consolemap.c:404: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> consolemap.c:404: for each function it appears in.)
> consolemap.c:406: `dfont_unicount' undeclared (first use this function)
> consolemap.c:397: warning: `j' might be used uninitialized in this function
> consolemap.c:398: warning: `p' might be used uninitialized in this function
> make[3]: *** [consolemap.o] Error 1

I thought maybe something was wrong with the new tarball, so I went back
and tried to compile a 2.0.28 kernel, and had the same problems.  I've
never had these problems before, and I've compiled kernels from this
source several times.  The only major thing that I've changed since then
is that I've moved /usr to a new disk, but I can't imagine how that could
affect a tarball I've just downloaded.

Anyone run into this problem before?  I'm pretty stuck.

--

PGP public key available: http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt4198a/

1. Problem with NetTools & WuFTP compiled at Linux Kernel 2.0.x / ELF

Subject: Problem with NetTools & WuFTP compiled at Linux Kernel 2.0.x / ELF :(

Hi, All!

Just upgraded my old Linux system (with Kernel v1.3.90/a.out with elf
support) to totaly new Kernel v2.0.18 with GCC 2.7.2, LibC 5.2.18.
Now I have problem with route and netstat (from NetTools)
and Wu-FTP if I compile their from my new system.
This programs don't work with DNS names corectly:
Running its cause more 1 minute timeout before show any routing
information (DNS accessed from other computer works fine), or banner
from WuFTP.
If this programs compiled at old system (a.out) - all works at upgraded
system too.

Also tried install libc v5.3.12 and 5.4.2 changes nothing.
Also tried to get "netstat" and "route" from Slackware 3.1 couses
the same problem.

I think problem somewhere at compiler/libraries/kernel environment (where?)...
Searching by AltaVista I found nothing about this:(

Can somebody suggest solving of this problem?

Alexander Feldman

2. using 4.1.4 machine w/HP X terminal

3. IPXRIPD Problem, can't compile with kernel 2.0

5. Problem compiling kernel 2.0 ...

6. Frontpage search FORM cuts URL's name

7. Problem while trying to compile kernel 2.0

8. unable to open an initial console

9. Problem compiling driver on kernels 2.0+

10. Compiling Kernel 2.0

11. Compiling kernel ver 2.0 on a 486 with 8MB of RAM

12. Can't compile sound into kernel 2.0

13. Yet another compile error for Linux kernel 2.0