Auto power off on shutdown?

Post by Kenji Andrew Matsuo » Thu, 28 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Every time I shut down Linux, I think how nice it would be if
Linux could power down my computer after it halts.  Win95 does,
so Linux should be able to, too!  Would it be hard to implement?
--
Kenji Andrew Matsuoka :::: http://hana.physics.sunysb.edu/~kenji/
"it was truly an out-of-body experience"

Auto power off on shutdown?

Post by Richard Stevens » Sat, 30 Aug 1997 04:00:00

It's already there, at least in 2.0.30 (I don't know when it was added).
Just grab the source, run make config and enable APM support (as well as
all your other normal options), recompile and install.

Cheers

Richard

Quote:>Every time I shut down Linux, I think how nice it would be if

Post by Kenji Andrew Matsuo » Sat, 30 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: > Every time I shut down Linux, I think how nice it would be if
: > Linux could power down my computer after it halts.  Win95 does,
: > so Linux should be able to, too!  Would it be hard to implement?
:
: This is already implemented.  Compile a new kernel with APM support and enable
: 'Power off on shutdown'.  Works fine on my laptop.

Thanks!
--

Post by Stefan Monnie » Sun, 31 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> It's already there, at least in 2.0.30 (I don't know when it was added).
> Just grab the source, run make config and enable APM support (as well as
> all your other normal options), recompile and install.

Now can you also turn it on automatically at a specified time (like I could do
with my SGI Indy) ?

        Stefan

Auto power off on shutdown?

Post by Adam P. Jenkin » Sun, 31 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > It's already there, at least in 2.0.30 (I don't know when it was added).
> > Just grab the source, run make config and enable APM support (as well as
> > all your other normal options), recompile and install.

> Now can you also turn it on automatically at a specified time (like I could do
> with my SGI Indy) ?

>         Stefan

You'd need hardware support for that.  Some Macs have it, so do SGIs I guess.  I
don't know of any PCs that do though.

--
Adam P. Jenkins

Auto power off on shutdown?

Post by Michael Hirsc » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Now can you also turn it on automatically at a specified time (like I could do
> with my SGI Indy) ?

>         Stefan

Wouldn't a simple cron job do it?

Just put this in root's crontab to shut down every night at 1:30.

30 1 * * * shutdown -h now

or, it you prefer, run an "at" job.  See man at.

--
Michael D, Hirsch                       Work: (404) 727-7940
Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322     FAX: (404) 727-5611

Public key for encrypted mail available upon request (or finger

Auto power off on shutdown?

Post by Carey Evan » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Every time I shut down Linux, I think how nice it would be if
> Linux could power down my computer after it halts.  Win95 does,
> so Linux should be able to, too!  Would it be hard to implement?

You'll need to recompile your kernel, and select "Power off on
shutdown":

  | This option will power off the computer after the Linux kernel is halted
  | (e.g., with the halt(8) command).  As with the other APM options, this
  | option may not work reliably with some APM BIOS implementations.

This is under Character devices/Advanced Power Management BIOS support.

--
      Carey Evans  <*>  http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/

kernel: Warning: possible SYN flooding. Sending cookies.
kernel: validated probe(100007f, 100007f, 11557, 5010, -1645409555)

1. Auto power-off with halt or shutdown?

You need a fairly recent SRM firmware and you need to set in it on
a variable; from memory this will be 'force_poweroff' but do
'show for*' and it should show up.

I strongly suspect that you have bad SRM.  There were few iterations
before most bugs were licked.

  Michal

2. TIS Firewall Toolkit

3. How to setup auto MO mount when power on after sudden power off?

4. Redhat 6.1 ppp startup error

5. RH 7.2 Power Management, power-off on shutdown?

6. FTP server not running ?

7. Q: auto shutdown & power on with APM with ATX mb ?

8. parsing data file

9. *** auto power off ***

10. auto power off

11. *** auto power off ***