Does Linux Run on a Cyrix Cx486DRx2

Post by Stan Busku » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I would like to upgrade my ATT 6386 16mhz with a Cyrix Cx486Drx2
clock doubler. With the clock doubler I could run at a whopping 32mhz.
The doubler will probably cut into my nap time while I'm waiting for X
to start up, but hey, what the heck. However, before I buy and tear
apart my system, I would like to know if Linux will run on the
Cx486DRx2. Does anyone use, or know of anyone who uses, Linux with
the Cyrix486RDx2? Any insight or rumors would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Stan Buskus
AT&T Solutions
State of Wisconsin NMC

Post by Craig Hag » Sat, 11 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I would like to upgrade my ATT 6386 16mhz with a Cyrix Cx486Drx2
: clock doubler. With the clock doubler I could run at a whopping 32mhz.
: The doubler will probably cut into my nap time while I'm waiting for X
: to start up, but hey, what the heck. However, before I buy and tear
: apart my system, I would like to know if Linux will run on the
: Cx486DRx2. Does anyone use, or know of anyone who uses, Linux with
: the Cyrix486RDx2? Any insight or rumors would be appreciated.

got one. I upgraded my 386/33 to a dru2/66. Without
the patch to enable the on chip cache it is about 15 bogomips (up
from the ~7 that the machine originally did). With the patch (1.2.13,
it took some hand crafting) it is about 26 bogomips. I think that it
was one of my better buys. Since you are going to have 50% of
my clock speed, halve the numbers.

-- craig

Post by bill davids » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

| got one. I upgraded my 386/33 to a dru2/66. Without
| the patch to enable the on chip cache it is about 15 bogomips (up
| from the ~7 that the machine originally did). With the patch (1.2.13,
| it took some hand crafting) it is about 26 bogomips. I think that it
| was one of my better buys. Since you are going to have 50% of
| my clock speed, halve the numbers.

Have prices come down? I got a price quote of >$100, and with a
486-120 motherboard going for $155 at local computer shows, I didn't
bother.

1. Cyrix Cx486DRx2

Hello!

Anyone know of a kernel module for kernel 2.0+ that enables the
cache in a Cx486DRx2?  I have old patches I used with a 1.2.x
system, but have now upgraded to Slackware 3.1.  Otherwise, I'll
have to roll my own.  I'd perfer not to but...

Cheers,
Rich

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------
// Rich Holm                       | "We are continually faced by
// A-T Financial Information, Inc. | great opportunities brilliantly

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. new installation with a geforce MX?

3. Cyrix 386 upgrade : Cx486DRx2

4. Adding PCMCIA card to an existing desktop install

5. Cyrix Cx486DRx2-16/32 CPU causes kernel to panic

6. Oracle 9i Release 2

7. Cyrix Cx486DRx2

8. options BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET

9. Cyrix Cx486DRx2 33/66GP