Call a user space function from irq handler?

Call a user space function from irq handler?

Post by Marcel Boost » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello there,

Is it possible to call a user space function from
a kernel interrupt handler?

Greetings,
  Marcel

Post by Ingo Molna » Mon, 16 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: Is it possible to call a user space function from
: a kernel interrupt handler?

generally it's a "dont do that", but if you need it you can
do it either via modules, or via some ugly hack-device which
you can mmap() into user space.

(why do you need this btw?)

-- mingo

Post by Tim Curr » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>: Is it possible to call a user space function from
>: a kernel interrupt handler?

> generally it's a "dont do that", but if you need it you can
> do it either via modules, or via some ugly hack-device which
> you can mmap() into user space.

  This is worse than a "don't do that"! If you must, do it
when no-one is standing nearby. : )

Quote:

> (why do you need this btw?)

  Yeah, why?

Quote:

Tim Currie tcurrie at wireless.tellabs.com.nospam
(you figure it out)
My opinions, not Tellabs'

1. Call a kernel function from User space QUESTION

First of all sorry if my English is not good.
Ok, I wrote some functions inside the Linux Kernel, they work great.
The problem comes when I want to call some of them from user space. I
want to do something like this:

//Kernel
int addData(struct data_struct var){

//User Space
int main(){
 addData(var); -> Impossible!

Yes, this doesn't work because the compiler can not link this function
with any function!
I think I should get to that function inside the kernel (addData) with
some kind of syscall. But which one? and How!?
I found an approach: you can do this with ioctl syscall, but I can not
understand how it works... Or even if I'm in a wrong way.

I need your HELP so badly!
THANK YOU

2. Problem with IP forwarding (now you see it - now you don't)

3. calling user space function from kernel

4. UATA Hard drive Problems

5. kernel space access to user space functions

6. Enlightenment sound daemon

7. system hangs on wake_up call from IRQ handler

8. Linux Screen Capture

9. wake_up call from IRQ handler freezes system (no Oops)

10. Address of function calling signal handler

11. how to know the instruction address of calling function within called function?

12. portable way to get calling functions address in signal handler?

13. Browser calls CGI C function which sets an env var and call a c function crashes