I have RedHat 7.0 that comes without the section 9 (kernel reference
guide) of the man-pages. Where can I find those man-pages?
Thanks in advance,
Thanks in advance,
To learn about the Linux kernel, try;
>>I have RedHat 7.0 that comes without the section 9
>>(kernel reference guide) of the man-pages. Where can
>>I find those man-pages?
I've already downloaded it (but thanks anyway)Quote:
>To learn about the Linux kernel, try;
>>I have RedHat 7.0 that comes without the section 9 (kernel reference
>>guide) of the man-pages. Where can I find those man-pages?
RA> But those are in html format - I meant man-pages in the
RA> "linux-man" format... (but thanks anyway!)
That's just the way it is with Linux.
For less chaotic, better organized free Unix you should try
FreeBSD. It doesn't have a multitude of HOWTO's, scores of books etc
etc, but has one "official" handbook that is all you need, has all
sections of manpages (nothing gets in -stable without proper
documentation) and a sound design.
*Note*: I don't mean to put off Linux! Just Linux and FreeBSD have
different focusses IMO: FreeBSD tries to be a more conservetive but
standard UNIX, slower but better organized and is easier to maintain
(for an experienced UNIX user, not for newbies since there aren't all
these non standard graphical tools for system management like for
Linux is of course where the action is, has newer drivers for more
hardware, more commercial apps (though many run in FreeBSD's excellent
Linux emulator at full speed), all kinds of graphical tools for system
management (albeit different between Linux distros). It depends on
what want from your OS and on your own background.
Peter Mutsaers | Dbendorf | Trust me, I know
1. what do sections in man page signify
I have found that Unix man pages have sections(1,2 ,3 so on) on each
topic. What do these signify?
2. Netscape E 3.0/Solaris 2.5.1 - failure: Error sending to client (Broken pipe)
3. want man page section identifiers
4. Sending mass email using mailx
5. getcontext Attribute MT section of the man page
7. Where are section (3) man pages?
8. RE masquerading on redhat 6.2(ha anybody has succesfully done masq)
10. misplaced man pages in devices section
11. Standard man pages to "Catted" man pages!
12. Man page Reference to GCC, Make Doc
13. Need references on the a.out file format beyond the Sun man pages