ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs

Post by Alan Co » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 04:10:10

Quote:> when coming back up it fscked (I didn't touch anything - didn't even notice
> any 5 second thing but I wasn't looking at this screen) and it found two
> lost inodes (I got two entries in lost and found). So it still needs to
> fsck by the looks of it?

That sounds like you used your own kernel with it and had ext2 mounting
the root fs (remember its back compatible)

Alan
-

ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs

Post by Andreas Dilge » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 05:30:21

Quote:> Yes, that makes a lot of sense. After the reset I went into my own kernel
> with both ext2 and ext3 compiled into it. However, before the reboot, I was
> still in the RH kernel (99% sure it was so, but my memory might be
> deceiving me).

> Is there any Right Way(TM) to fix this situation considering I want to have
> both ext2 and ext3 in my kernels (apart from the obvious of changing the
> order fs are called during root mount in the kernel)?

If both ext2 and ext3 are compiled into the kernel, then ext3 will try first
to mount the root fs.  If there is no journal on this fs (check this with
tune2fs -l <dev>, and look for "has_journal" feature), then it will be
mounted as ext2.  If you are doing strange things with initrd and modules,
then there is more chance to have problems.

I don't know why you would want to go back to ext2 if you have ext3 in your
kernel, but if so, there is a patch to add a "rootfstype" parameter which
allows you to select the fstype to try and mount your root fs as.  It looks
like it is in Linus' 2.4.13 kernel at least (don't know when it went in).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger

-

ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs

Post by Anton Altaparmako » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 05:40:14

> > Yes, that makes a lot of sense. After the reset I went into my own kernel
> > with both ext2 and ext3 compiled into it. However, before the reboot, I
> was
> > still in the RH kernel (99% sure it was so, but my memory might be
> > deceiving me).

> > Is there any Right Way(TM) to fix this situation considering I want to
> have
> > both ext2 and ext3 in my kernels (apart from the obvious of changing the
> > order fs are called during root mount in the kernel)?

>If both ext2 and ext3 are compiled into the kernel, then ext3 will try first
>to mount the root fs.  If there is no journal on this fs (check this with
>tune2fs -l <dev>, and look for "has_journal" feature), then it will be
>mounted as ext2.  If you are doing strange things with initrd and modules,
>then there is more chance to have problems.

Will check. Thanks for info.

Quote:>I don't know why you would want to go back to ext2 if you have ext3 in your
>kernel, but if so, there is a patch to add a "rootfstype" parameter which
>allows you to select the fstype to try and mount your root fs as.  It looks
>like it is in Linus' 2.4.13 kernel at least (don't know when it went in).

Well one good reason is I don't trust ext3 because it is new and I haven't
used it before. (You can call me paranoid all you want...) Before I start
trusting it with my really important data, I would rather use ext3 for a
while on /, /usr and other non-important partitions (they can be
reinstalled, /home cannot...)

Anton

--
   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
--

Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

-

ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs

Post by Theodore Ts » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 06:30:22

> hi

> What's coolest/best/worst of ext3, ReiserFS and XFS?
> I just set up a RedHat 7.2 box with ext3, and after a few tests/chrashes,
> I see no difference at all. After a chrash, it really wants to run fsck
> anyway.

It will run fsck after a crash, but the fsck simply runs the journal
on ext3 filesystems that were uncleanly mounted.  So the fsck will run
very quickly, *unless* the kernel had detected some kind of filesystem
error, and had set the "the filesystem has errors" flag, in which case
the full fsck check will be run.

If you're seeing a full fsck (i.e., a run which takes over a minute
and where you see the progress bar) after a crash consistently, you
might want to check and make sure that you've really converted the
filesystem in question to ext3.....

                                                        - Ted

-

ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs

Post by Christian Borntr?ge » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 06:40:06

Quote:> /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
> /dev/hda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0

> However, tune2fs -l on both /dev/hda1 (the root filesystem) and /dev/hda6
> gives Filesystem features:      has_journal sparse_super

You don use ext3.
ext3 is backward compatible with ext2. So you can mount ext3 as ext2
completely ignoring the journal.

Look for a line in /etc/fstab
/dev/root and change the file system to ext3.

greetings

Christian Borntr?ger
-

ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs

Post by Mike Fedy » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 06:50:16

> > /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
> > /dev/hda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0

> > However, tune2fs -l on both /dev/hda1 (the root filesystem) and /dev/hda6
> > gives Filesystem features:      has_journal sparse_super

> You don use ext3.
> ext3 is backward compatible with ext2. So you can mount ext3 as ext2
> completely ignoring the journal.

> Look for a line in /etc/fstab
> /dev/root and change the file system to ext3.

No.

This is chosen at boot time before /etc/fstab can be read...

check /proc/filesystems and make sure that ext3 is listed before ext2.

Also make sure that ext3 is compiled into the kernel.  You can use modules
if you want to mess with initrd, but I don't...

Mike
-

ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs

Post by Andrew Morto » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 07:10:10

> I have a switch "data=journal" that ext2 will *on when I boot into an
> ext2 only kernel.

> Is there another way to change the journaling mode besides modifying
> /etc/fstab?

Try  adding `rootflags=data=journal' to your kernel boot
commandline.

Quote:> It'd be nice if it could be a compile time switch for default journal mode...

It can be done via lilo.conf and /etc/fstab.
-

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs

Post by Mike Fedy » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 07:30:20

> > I have a switch "data=journal" that ext2 will *on when I boot into an
> > ext2 only kernel.

> > Is there another way to change the journaling mode besides modifying
> > /etc/fstab?

> Try  adding `rootflags=data=journal' to your kernel boot
> commandline.

Does that work for non-root ext3 mounts also?  ie, will ext3 default to
data=journaled mode for future mounts?

Post by Andrew Morto » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 08:10:16

> > > I have a switch "data=journal" that ext2 will *on when I boot into an
> > > ext2 only kernel.

> > > Is there another way to change the journaling mode besides modifying
> > > /etc/fstab?

> > Try  adding `rootflags=data=journal' to your kernel boot
> > commandline.

> Oh, JOY!

> adding that line to an ext2 only kernel will make it kernel panic when it
> tries to mount root because it doesn't understand the option!

It's dumb that an unrecognised option be a fatal error.  Same
problem with modules, actually.  If you add a new module option
to modules.conf and then go back to an older kernel your module
won't load (here's where kaos pokes me with the rtfm stick).

You can create a second entry in lilo.conf which refers to the same
kernel image, but which doesn't have the rootflags option.

-
-

Post by James A Sutherlan » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 09:20:14

> > > On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 04:31:24PM +0000, you [James A Sutherland]
claimed:

> > > A stupid question: does ext3 replay the journal before fsck? If not,
> > > the inode errors would be expected...

> > Yes, it does: this was AFTER the journal replay. And yes, it was ext3 not
> > ext2 mounting it (well, either that or ext2 has learned to do journal
> > replays...).

> Actuall, e2fsck can also do the journal replay, so depending on whether
> this is the root fs or not, it may be that you get a journal replay and
> still mount it as ext2...

The journal replay occurred on mount, well before fsck was invoked.

Quote:> > So, AFTER a journal replay, there were still two damaged inodes
> > - which sounds like Anton's problem. Maybe ext3 just hates Cambridge? :-)

> Well, if you had a SCSI error, then it may be that the fs marked an error
> in the superblock, which would force a full fsck also.

> Note also, that it is often normal to have "orphaned inodes" cleaned up
> when the journal is cleaned up.  This is not an error.  I normally have
> these on my system because of PCMCIA cardmgr creating device inodes in /tmp
> and then unlinking them immediately after opening them.

They were not orphaned inodes, they were inodes with incorrect size & block
values...

Quote:> If you have an open but unlinked file, then ext3 will delete this file at
> mount/fsck time (unlike reiserfs which leaves it around wasting space).
> Did you actually get files in lost+found, or only the orphaned inode
> message?

Nothing in l&f, just the familiar (from ext2!) scenario of automatic fsck
finding errors, then dropping me to a single-user login to run fsck manually.

James.
-

1. FileSystem XFS vs RiserFS vs ext3

Hi all I get basic understanding of the functions and different between
XFS, RiserFS and ext3. But in high volumn read write enviornment (database,
NFS email server etc), which will provide better preformance?
Thanks
Alex

-

2. System Admin Survey in HTML form

3. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

4. Kernal Panic

5. Filesystem benchmarks: ext2 vs ext3 vs jfs vs minix

6. can't start up a X-Server??

7. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

8. mv linux f /hda2 to /hda1

9. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

10. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

11. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

12. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...