Missing help entries in 2.4.6pre5

Post by Eric S. Raymon » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 04:50:12

The following configuration symbols in 2.4.6pre5 do not have
Congfgure.help entries,:

CONFIG_ACPI_AC
CONFIG_ACPI_BUSMGR
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON
CONFIG_ACPI_CMBATT
CONFIG_ACPI_CPU
CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG
CONFIG_ACPI_EC
CONFIG_ACPI_SYS
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL
CONFIG_MOMENCO_OCELOT
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_VIRTUAL_ER
CONFIG_XSCALE_IQ80310

Would the responsible parties please send me doocumentation for the
Configure.help masters?

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they
are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America
cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the people are armed,
and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops.
        -- Noah Webster
-

Post by Russell Kin » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 05:00:18

> CONFIG_XSCALE_IQ80310

I think we've covered this one before.

This symbol only exists as an undefined reference at the moment, and
therefore can never be 'y'.  As such, there is little point in providing
help for it.

Even the master ARM tree doesn't contain its definition yet, so please,
stop bringing it up.

The reason you have it is that stuff has come via a different route which
relies on it - via the MTD CVS tree.

The symbol is therefore currently irrelevent, and can be placed on your
"ignore" list.

-

Post by Eric S. Raymon » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 05:10:08

> > CONFIG_XSCALE_IQ80310

> I think we've covered this one before.

Yes.  But if I don't ask, I won't ncessarily know when it changes status.

The danger (where there is any) from armed citizens, is only to the
*government*, not to *society*; and as long as they have nothing to
revenge in the government (which they cannot have while it is in their
own hands) there are many advantages in their being accustomed to the
use of arms, and no possible disadvantage.
        -- Joel Barlow, "Advice to the Privileged Orders", 1792-93
-

Post by Nicolas Pitr » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 07:30:19

> The following configuration symbols in 2.4.6pre5 do not have
> Congfgure.help entries,:
[...]
> CONFIG_XSCALE_IQ80310

1- This symbol is mine;
2- It is part of 2.4.6-pre5 only as a dependency argument, with no
   point where a value is actually assigned to it;
3- It is likely to be different when the actual question for which the
   user need an help text is merged into the mainline kernel.

So you can safely ignore it for now.

Maybe it could be a good thing for your tool to ignore missing help text for
symbols that don't get enabled interactively by the user?

Nicolas

-

Post by Russell Kin » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 07:50:09

> > The following configuration symbols in 2.4.6pre5 do not have
> > Congfgure.help entries,:
> [...]
> > CONFIG_XSCALE_IQ80310

> 1- This symbol is mine;
> 2- It is part of 2.4.6-pre5 only as a dependency argument, with no
>    point where a value is actually assigned to it;
> 3- It is likely to be different when the actual question for which the
>    user need an help text is merged into the mainline kernel.

> So you can safely ignore it for now.

> Maybe it could be a good thing for your tool to ignore missing help text for
> symbols that don't get enabled interactively by the user?

Eric - would it be easier if I just define_bool CONFIG_XSCALE_IQ80310 n ?

-

Missing help entries in 2.4.6pre5

Post by Eric S. Raymon » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 07:50:12

Quote:> Eric - would it be easier if I just define_bool CONFIG_XSCALE_IQ80310 n ?

I've done that in my rulesfile, thanks.  Here is the current list of ignored
symbols:

derive CMDLINE_BOOL from n
derive CPU_ADVANCED from EXPERT
derive DRM_AGP from DRM and AGP!=n
derive FB_PCI from FB and PCI
derive FB_TBOX from n
derive NET_ISA from NET_ETHERNET and ISA
derive NET_PCI from NET_ETHERNET and (EISA or PCI)
derive PARTITION_ADVANCED from EXPERT
# These are scheduled to be removed, according to the ARM port manager.
derive CPU_ARM920_CPU_IDLE from n
derive CPU_ARM920_D_CACHE_ON from n
derive CPU_ARM920_I_CACHE_ON from n
# Nicolas Pitre says "This one is currently unmaintained and likely to be
# removed altogether."
derive SA1100_SHERMAN from n
# These are used in config.in files but nowhere in C code or Makefiles.
# Check this with `scripts/kxref.py -l -f "o&~m&~c&~h&~x" -n defconfig'
derive ARCH_SHARK from n
derive ARCH_TBOX from n
derive BAGETBSM from n
derive CPU_ARM1020 from n
derive CPU_ARM920_WRITETHROUGH from n
derive ETRAX_LED10Y from n
derive ETRAX_LED11Y from n
derive ETRAX_LED12R from n
derive ETRAX_LED8Y from n
derive ETRAX_LED9Y from n
derive GEN_RTC from n
derive GSC from n
derive GSC_DINO from n
derive GSC_PS2 from n
derive LASI_82596 from n
derive MIPS_GT96100 from n
derive PCI_PERMEDIA from n
derive PROFILE from n
derive PROFILE_SHIFT from n
derive SCSI_DECSII from n
derive SCSI_LASI from n
derive SCSI_SIM from n
derive SERIAL_21285_OLD from n
derive SIMETH from n
derive SIM_SERIAL from n
derive USERIAL from n
derive XSCALE_IQ80310 from n

--

"The state calls its own * `law', but that of the individual `crime'"
        -- Max Stirner

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Missing help entries in 2.4.6pre5

Post by Eric S. Raymon » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:20:06

Quote:> > CONFIG_XSCALE_IQ80310

> 1- This symbol is mine;
> 2- It is part of 2.4.6-pre5 only as a dependency argument, with no
>    point where a value is actually assigned to it;
> 3- It is likely to be different when the actual question for which the
>    user need an help text is merged into the mainline kernel.

> So you can safely ignore it for now.

I've put it on my ignore list.

Quote:> Maybe it could be a good thing for your tool to ignore missing help text for
> symbols that don't get enabled interactively by the user?

It already does that for derivations (in CML1, define_*).  The real problem
here is that my report generators aren't smart enough to tell when a CML1
symbol is referenced in a CML1 config but never set.  That problem could be
solved, but it's unusual that I don't think it's worth the effort.
--

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme
Being as his father, in the womb of a *, will be classed with the

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Missing help entries in 2.4.6pre5

Post by David Woodhous » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:20:09

Quote:> > I think we've covered this one before.
> Yes.  But if I don't ask, I won't ncessarily know when it changes
> status.

It hasn't changed status in the last five days since your query was last
answered. When it gets defined in arch/arm/config.in, its status has
changed. Until that happens, please don't keep asking about it every few
dayus.

--
dwmw2

-

Missing help entries in 2.4.6pre5

Post by David Woodhous » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:30:13

Quote:>  I've done that in my rulesfile, thanks.  Here is the current list of
> ignored symbols:
> derive CMDLINE_BOOL from n

 ....etc...

That'll nicely break oldconfig behaviour when the options in question do
get merged into the main tree, won't it?

Can you make them optional instead? So for normal users they're still
_really_ undefined, and hence get asked about when they appear, rather than
defaulting to 'n'.

--
dwmw2

-

Missing help entries in 2.4.6pre5

Post by Eric S. Raymon » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:00:09

Quote:> It hasn't changed status in the last five days since your query was last
> answered. When it gets defined in arch/arm/config.in, its status has
> changed. Until that happens, please don't keep asking about it every few
> dayus.

You're a bit irritated.  That's good.  I *want* people who don't write
help entries for their configuration symbols to be a bit irritated.
That way, they might get around to actually doing what they ought to.

I don't like the idea that the police department seems bent on keeping
a pool of unarmed victims available for the predations of the criminal
class.
         -- David Mohler, 1989, on being denied a carry permit in NYC
-

Post by Eric S. Raymon » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:00:10

> >  I've done that in my rulesfile, thanks.  Here is the current list of
> > ignored symbols:

> > derive CMDLINE_BOOL from n
>  ....etc...

> That'll nicely break oldconfig behaviour when the options in question do
> get merged into the main tree, won't it?

Actually, what will happen is that when the symbol goes active and I know
about it, I'll add a declaration to the symbols table.  Then, if I've
forgotten that I had the symbol on my ignore list, I'll get a compilation
error the next time I try to builsd a rulebase.

A ``decay in the social contract'' is detectable; there is a growing
feeling, particularly among middle-income taxpayers, that they are not
getting back, from society and government, their money's worth for
taxes paid. The tendency is for taxpayers to try to take more control
of their finances ..
        -- IRS Strategic Plan, (May 1984)
-

Post by Russell Kin » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:00:12

> You're a bit irritated.  That's good.  I *want* people who don't write
> help entries for their configuration symbols to be a bit irritated.
> That way, they might get around to actually doing what they ought to.

The people you're irritating are not the people who create these symbols
though, so its a little pointless.

-

Post by Eric S. Raymon » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:00:14

> > You're a bit irritated.  That's good.  I *want* people who don't write
> > help entries for their configuration symbols to be a bit irritated.
> > That way, they might get around to actually doing what they ought to.

> The people you're irritating are not the people who create these symbols
> though, so its a little pointless.

Irritating port managers a little is good, too.  Sometimes, they can get
the right person to move.  It's happened before.

Post by Russell Kin » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:00:16

> Irritating port managers a little is good, too.  Sometimes, they can get
> the right person to move.  It's happened before.

You really don't want to irritate me, especially when its over something
I have precisely zero control over that I didn't even submit, or have the
ability of submitting either.

-

Missing help entries in 2.4.6pre5

Post by David Woodhous » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:00:18

Quote:>  You're a bit irritated.  That's good.  I *want* people who don't
> write help entries for their configuration symbols to be a bit
> irritated. That way, they might get around to actually doing what they
> ought to.

I wasn't irritated the first time. I sent you a patch which added all the
help entries I'd missed, and thanked you for checking. To be honest, I'd
actually been counting on you to do that for me and catch the ones I'd
missed.

The irritation only happened because you seem to have ignored the remainder
of my original response and patch - which explained the status of the Ocelot
and XScale options, and which removed the other offending option from
Config.in completely. I'd removed the corresponding code before syncing up
with Linus because it wanted rewriting before it could be submitted, just
forgotten to remove the config option for it.

I'm already rejecting patches which add new config entries but don't add
the corresponding help text. What more do you want?

--
dwmw2

-