MLPPP in kernels 2.2.x w/ PPP v2.4.1

Post by Ivan Passo » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:10:06

Hello, everyone,

The quick question: if I install PPP 2.4.1 in a Linux box w/ kernel 2.2.x,
will I have support to MLPPP??

Now, the explanation for my doubt. I've seen several (actually 3)
different MLPPP implementations for older versions of PPP/pppd (namely
2.3.5 and 2.3.11). I'd like to know if once I install PPP 2.4.1 in a
system w/ kernel 2.2.x, I kill my need for these kind of patches in order
to support MLPPP. Or would I still need some kind of patch, even for PPP
2.4.1, to have MLPPP support in kernels 2.2.x??

I know that for kernels 2.4.x these patches are not needed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Later,
Ivan

-

MLPPP in kernels 2.2.x w/ PPP v2.4.1

Post by Koral Ilgu » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 04:50:04

These are excerpts from ppp 2.4.1 README.linux file:

The Linux PPP implementation includes both kernel and user-level
parts.  This package contains the user-level part, which consists of
the PPP daemon (pppd) and associated utilities.  In the past this
package has contained updated kernel drivers.  This is no longer
necessary, as the current 2.2 and 2.4 kernel sources contain
up-to-date drivers.

2.1 Kernel driver

Assuming you are running a recent 2.2 or 2.4 (or later) series kernel,
the kernel source code will contain an up-to-date kernel PPP driver.
If the PPP driver was included in your kernel configuration when your
kernel was built, then you only need to install the user-level
programs.  Otherwise you will need to get the source tree for your
kernel version, configure it with PPP included, and recompile.  Most
Linux distribution vendors ship kernels with PPP included in the
configuration.

Hope this helps,

K*

--
K*Ilgun
Software Engineer

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

MLPPP in kernels 2.2.x w/ PPP v2.4.1

Post by Koral Ilgu » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 04:50:05

Oops, I forgot to add the most important part from README.linux:

The 2.2 series kernels contain an older version of the kernel PPP
driver, one which doesn't support multilink.  If you want multilink,
you need to run the latest 2.4 series kernel.  The kernel PPP driver
was completely rewritten for the 2.4 series kernels to support
multilink and to allow it to operate over diverse kinds of
communication medium (the 2.2 driver only operates over serial ports
and devices which look like serial ports, such as pseudo-ttys).

K*

--
K*Ilgun
Software Engineer

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. V2.2.0 & V2.2.2 kernel do not compile on a m68k Amiga A1200

 I have tried to compile linux kernal v2_2_0 and v2_2_2 and get a
compilation error.
 My system is an Amiga A1200 with a Blizzard 1260 and SCSI interface.
 48Mb Ram and approx 5.5Gb of disk space on the SCSI port and .5Gb on
 the IDE port.
 A CDROM and a HP T4000s tape streamer are also on the SCSI port.

 I am running 2_0_36 at present and I would like to upgrade as I am
having trouble getting linux to boot when I have a Zip drive connected
 to the SCSI port.

 On typing make I get the following output.
 Has anyone tried to compile this before and if so how did you
overcome this error.

 Thank you.

  gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -ffixed-a2
-m68060
  -c -o init/main.o init/main.c

 /usr/src/linux/include/asm/semaphore.h: In function
`waking_non_zero':
 In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/fs.h:161,
                  from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/capability.h:13,
                  from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
                  from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/sched.h:8,
                  from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/mm.h:4,
                  from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/slab.h:14,
                  from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/malloc.h:4,
                  from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/proc_fs.h:5,
                  from init/main.c:15:
 /usr/src/linux/include/asm/semaphore.h:61: `owner_depth' undeclared
 (first use this function)
 /usr/src/linux/include/asm/semaphore.h:61: (Each undeclared
identifier
 is reported only once
 /usr/src/linux/include/asm/semaphore.h:61: for each function it
appears in.)
 make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

2. Compiling for DOS using emx under OS/2; rint() and round()

3. v2.4.1-v2.4.3pre2 doesnt power off by halt or shutdown -h

4. Linux Serial Question

5. Prestoserve V2.4.1 to V2.4.2 ?

6. propagating DNS additions for Virtual Domains

7. ppp daemon v2.4.1

8. HP L1902 Flat Panel will not display on Ultra 5 workstation?

9. Prob with perms & groups with pl10,libc4.4.1,shadow3.2.2

10. SunOS 4.1.x to SOlaris 2.2

11. SuSE 7.2, XFree86 4.1, KDE 2.2

12. problem compiling MESA 2.2 with redhat 4.1

13. kernel version problem with ppp module in RH 4.1