1. LILO dies: L AA AA AA AA AA ...
I tried installing RedHat 5.0 Linux on my Pentium Pro
PC, but ran into a problem on the LILO installation.
Here's my configuration:
Pentium Pro 200 MHz processor
64 megs RAM
S3/Virge VX 8 meg Video card
Adaptec SCSI card attached to CD-R drive
(1) master = 5 gig hard drive (C:, E:, F:)
slave = IOmega Zip drive (D:)
(2) master = CDROM drive
slave = 6.4 gig hard drive
Windows 98 (FAT32 on drives C:, E:, F:)
I got almost entirely through the installation.
I installed Linux on the 6.4 gig hard drive (hdd).
The only problem came up at the end, installing
the bootloader (in the master boot record).
The installation program said:
An error occurred during step "Install bootloader"
of the install.
I then selected "Previous" and it tried again,
producing the same error.
So the next time I tried "Retry" and it said "Congratulations"
and said everything was installed.
The problem, is now when I boot up, instead of getting
some LILO prompt, I get the following:
L AA AA AA AA AA etc...
That is, I see the letter "L", followed by a space and two "A"
letters. The double-A's emit at the rate of about one per second.
Hitting return, control-C, etc. has no effect. Only
control-alt-delete allows a reboot.
Now, I not only can't boot Linux, but I also can't boot
up Windows 98!
I did boot off of a Windows 98 boot floppy (and made sure
that C: was still there, it was, whew!) and tried to "sys c:"
to remove LILO, but that had no impact.
So I have some questions/pleas for help:
(1) Is there a way to make LILO work here? Have you
seen this problem before?
(2) Is there a way for me to remove LILO so I can
boot Windows 98 (off C:)?
(3) Do I need to resort to a boot floppy to boot
Linux? How would I make one?
Anxiously awaiting advice...
2. Slackware's Ghostscript
3. LILO hangs with 'L AA AA AA AA'...
4. Samba How-TO
5. Could not load color 'rgb:aa/aa/aa'
6. How to let make to detect compilation errors and stop
7. Need printcap entry for NEC PS 190
8. Micropolis 4345SS booting problems
9. Linux on a Powerbook 190?
10. NetBSD on PowerBook 190 ? Possible?
11. bttv tuner problem with Hauppauge WinTV (model 190)
12. ckermit 190 compile problems w/ 1..x
13. WinTV-Go (model 190) under Linux