[BENCHMARK] OSDL-DBT-2 - 2.4 vs 2.5 4-way/8-way with vmstat

[BENCHMARK] OSDL-DBT-2 - 2.4 vs 2.5 4-way/8-way with vmstat

Post by Cliff Whit » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 22:30:21

As Andrew requested, we now have posted DBT-2 results with vmstat
  data included for the 8-way workloads we reported previously.
  Runs have been included from both the cached and non-cached variants
  of the workload. The 8-way results used the same database cache
  size setting (2656M).

  In addition, we have results for DBT-2 running on STP for the cached workload
  comparing 2.4.18 versus 2.5.54dcl (the Data Center Linux kernel). In these
  runs we varied the database cache size setting (LM=2031MB, MM=2344MB,
  HH=2656M).

  Summary of results (Higher Metric is better)

  CPUs OS  Load Memory Metric (Avg)
  ---- --- ---- ------ ------------

  8way 2.4 Cached HM--- 4475.45
  8way 2.5 Cached HM--- 5063.5
  % speedup 2.5vs2.4----- 13.1 <---

  8way 2.4 NonCached HM 1414.18
  8way 2.5 NonCached HM 1659.8
  % speedup 2.5vs2.4----- 17.4 <---

  4way 2.4 Cached LM----2784.4
  4way 2.5 Cached LM----2941
  % speedup 2.5vs2.4---- 5.62 <---

  4way 2.4 Cached MM----2786.2
  4way 2.5 Cached MM----2939.8
  % speedup 2.5vs2.4----- 5.51 <---

  4way 2.4 Cached HM----2786
  4way 2.5 Cached HM----2947.2
  % speedup 2.5vs2.4----- 5.79 <---

  Here are some highlights/comments:

  Both the 4 way runs and the 8-way runs show improvement going from
  2.4 to 2.5.  The improvement is larger for the 8-way run. We believe
  the 2.5 4-way would have improved more if it had not hit a CPU wall.
  Observe the plot of vmstat percent user data  at :
  http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/STP_4way/us.html

  From the data and the plots, you will notice a big change about
  every 10 minutes.  That is the time the database does a "savepoint".
  It writes dirty pages to the database files.  This happened in the
  cached runs and the non-cached runs.

  We welcome your comments on why we are seeing this improvement.
  As, always we also welcome suggestions for improvement, and random complaints.

Regards,

  Mary Edie Meredith
  Mark Wong
  Cliff White

  OSDL Database Test 2 Project
  Open Source Development Lab
  www.osdl.org

  Link information:

  The overall results page for the DBT-2 project is at:
  http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results

  direct link to 4 way results page:
  http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/STP_4way/STP_4way_2.4v2....

  direct link to 8 way results page:
  http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/LKML2/STP_8way_2.4v...
  direct link to 8way results page

-

Post by Andrew Morto » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 23:30:19

>   Link information:

>   The overall results page for the DBT-2 project is at:
>   http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results

>   direct link to 4 way results page:
>   http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/STP_4way/STP_4way_2.4v2....

>   direct link to 8 way results page:
>   http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/LKML2/STP_8way_2.4v...
>   direct link to 8way results page

There seem to be quite a lot of mangled links there.  For example,
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/LKML2/STP_8way_2.4v...
links to
http:////www.osdl/org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/LKML2/c24.html

and
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/LKML2/c24.html
links to
http://www.osdl/org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/LKML2/data/c24/296/...

and when I fix up the latter:
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/LKML2/data/c24/296/...
it isn't there :(

However the numbers at
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/LKML_dbt2_2.4v2.5_both.h...

Seem to be showing increased user time in 2.5, decreased system time.  And
zero pgpgin/pgpgout in 2.5, which seems wrong.

I'd really like to see the vmstat traces.  Judging by the reduced idle time
in 2.5, this change could be due to more successful page replacement
decisions.

-

Post by Cliff Whit » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 00:50:07

> > http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/LKML2/data/296/vmst...

> That's progress, thanks.

> It is useful to show the collection interval of vmstat in the reports.  Is
> that `vmstat 1' or `vmstat 1000'?

vmstat interval is 60 seconds, you are right, we'll fix the report.

Quote:

> This workload appears to be performing concurrent disk reads and writes.  If
> these are _really_ happening at the same time (ie: if vmstat hasn't confused
> me) then it could well be the case that the throughput improvement comes from
> the I/O scheduler's tendency to service reads more promptly when there is a
> lot of writeback happening.

Re concurrent IO:
The offical answer from the dba's: "Well, it tries"
There are multiple user proccessess doing queries and commits.
There should be a difference between the cached and non-cached runs, as
the cached runs should not be doing much writing, except to the log device.

Every 10 minutes in all workloads, the database flushes cache to the
datafiles,
which should produce a noticeable peak in activity.

These loads suck up all the memory they can, so anything that gives us more
free memory should
be goodness. We think we are also seeing improvements in 2.5 in free memory,
but
we don't know for sure where is best to look and how best to prove it.
Any advice?

Quote:

> If so then you can expect to see wild swings in results as you wend your way
> through recent 2.5 kernels :(.  I'm working on settling that all down.
> 2.5.59-mm7 should do well.

Hopefully we can get some results for you on that kernel.
cliffw

-

Post by Andrew Morto » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:00:14

> These loads suck up all the memory they can, so anything that gives us more
> free memory should
> be goodness. We think we are also seeing improvements in 2.5 in free memory,
> but
> we don't know for sure where is best to look and how best to prove it.
> Any advice?

Monitoring /proc/meminfo would be the main means.  Further
info could be obtained by drilling down into /proc/vmstat
and /proc/slabinfo (the latter via bloatmeter, preferably).

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/

Martin Bligh is working on another VM reporting tool `vmtop', which
would be appropriate for that as well.
-

1. [BENCHMARK] DBT-2 2.5.65/mjb/osdl comparison data

We have now comparison data for DBT-2 (readprofile included) from
multiple kernels. To provide a quick comparison for those not
familiar with DBT-2, we've compared the results, using 2.5.65 stock
as the baseline (bigger is better).

                        Score           Score
Kernel                  Cached          Non-Cached
2.5.65 base             100 (baseline)  100
2.5.65-mjb2 HZ=100      90.95           99.26
2.5.65-mjb2 HZ=1000     102.38          99.92
2.5.65-osdl1            101.69          99.89
2.5.64-osdl1            104.16          99.67

HZ is defined as 1000 in the base and osdl1 kernels. mjb2 kernel uses
Andrew Morton / Dave Hansen patch making HZ a config option of
100 Hz or 1000 Hz).  Also we reversed out the 400-shpte patch.

Link to .config, readprofiles, metric info, raw data:

http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/8way_2_5_65.html

Guided tour:

At the top of the screen, you will see a row that includes the .config
and the readprofile data for each kernel tested.

Next is the list of runs of each type, the average metric (Green
line) bigger numbers are better. The first set of these is the
cached workload case, second is non-cached.

Click on "Raw data" for the vmstat, iostat raw info from each run of
that kernel and workload type.

Just some things noticed looking at the vmstat plotted data:

Notible difference in processes waiting for run time, all 2.5.65
are high relative to 2.5.64(the last frame) for the cached case
(first row of frames) in these plots:
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/r.html

Of course, interrupts are down for the HZ=100 case (second frame,
both rows):
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/In.html

Context switches per second slightly down to for HZ=100:
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/cs.html

Moving on to 2.5.66 to escape problems with "sleep".

Mary Meredith
Mark Wong
Cliff White

~
--

-

2. SCSI tape drive

3. OSDL DBT-2 AS vs. Deadline 2.5.68-mm2

4. Wierd Log

5. OSDL DBT-2 AS vs. Deadline 2.5.69-mm3 2.5.69-mm2

6. Any experiences with FUNAI E2800UA CD-ROM ?

7. Multiple & vs. && and | vs. || bugs in 2.4 and 2.5

8. Help with XFree86 3.1.1 setup

9. 4-Way Mirrors/8-Way Mirrors

10. [BENCHMARK] Database results 2.4 versus 2.5

11. unix socket latency regression from 2.4 to 2.5 (and multicast AF_UNIX benchmarks)

12. wu-ftpd MultiHomed vs Virtual ( two ways )

13. #if vs #ifdef - 2.4.x/2.5.x