Kernel 2.5.62 "unable to open initial console"

Kernel 2.5.62 "unable to open initial console"

Post by Downing, Thoma » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:20:08

Apologies of off-topic or screamingly idiotic or newbie :-)

Booting 2.5.62 results in no console.  Looking at syslog shows:

Warning: unable to open initial console

I am not using devfs - /dev/console is there, char major 5, minor 1.

Kernel was built without MDA or framebuffer support, without serial or
parallel console, with CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE 1 and CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE 1.

Problem has been present since at least 2.5.59.

System runs normally if booted with 2.5.24.
-

Kernel 2.5.62 "unable to open initial console"

Post by Duncan Sand » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:50:23

Please check out this thread: "2.5.62 fails to boot, Uncompressing... and then nothing"

You need to enable the console in your .config:

CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y

See the above thread for more details.

I hope this helps,

Duncan.

> Apologies of off-topic or screamingly idiotic or newbie :-)

> Booting 2.5.62 results in no console.  Looking at syslog shows:

> Warning: unable to open initial console

> I am not using devfs - /dev/console is there, char major 5, minor 1.

> Kernel was built without MDA or framebuffer support, without serial or
> parallel console, with CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE 1 and CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE 1.

> Problem has been present since at least 2.5.59.

> System runs normally if booted with 2.5.24.
> -

-

1. Help with Kernel error: "Unable to open initial console."

I'm trying to install Linux on my HP Omnibook-600.  I've done the
things suggested on the web page telling how to do this, but now
I've struck an error entirely different from any mentioned there.

Toward the end of the initialization sequence, after all the disk
information has been shown on the boot screen, the computer hangs with
the message: "Unable to open initial console."  This particular
message comes from the file "main.c" in the /usr/src/linux/init
directory.  I've looked at the source code and can't figure out what
it's trying to do or why it's failing.

Peter
--

     P.O. Box 410, Simpsonville, MD 21150-0410 USA, 410-997-8584
   "Engineering is the art of applying a professional knowledge of

2. poor performance when swapping

3. "Unable to open an initial console" while trying out new kernel

4. Help needed with PCNFS...

5. Serial console and "unable to open an initial console"

6. HELP!! Failed to print text file on HP laster printer!!

7. 2.5.62: Stop after "Enabling SEP on CPU 0"

8. Vaxstation 2000

9. 2.5.62-mm3 -DBT2 (was) Re: 2.5.62-mm3 -Panics during dbt2 run

10. "Unable to open a initial console" message

11. How to correct "Unable to open an initial console"?

12. NFS root : get "Unable to open initial console"

13. Error message "unable to open an initial console"