Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Marc Sowe » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:20:16



Hi everybody,

I hope this is not too off-topic, but the fact is that neither the Intel
PRO/Wireless 2100 (Centrino) chipset nor the Broadcom BCM9430x (e.g.
Dell Truemobile 1180/1300/1400) chipset is currently supported in Linux
due to FCC regulation problems.

Anyhow, I plan to get a new Notebook within the next 2 or 3 weeks and I
need to decide, whether to go for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 or the
Broadcom BCM9430x chipset. I know it's hard to say, but what do you
think, which company (Intel or Broadcom) is more likely to release the
necessary documents and/or drivers for their chipsets? Both companys
seem to ignore all inquiries concerning Linux support at the moment.

While we're at it, are there any news from the WLAN front?

Thank you!

Marc

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Joel Jaeggl » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:30:18


most laptop vendors that provide multiple wireless options also support
the cisco aironet minipci card, you can allways vote with your wallet if
you think linux support for wireless chipsets is valuable.

joelja


> Hi everybody,

> I hope this is not too off-topic, but the fact is that neither the Intel
> PRO/Wireless 2100 (Centrino) chipset nor the Broadcom BCM9430x (e.g.
> Dell Truemobile 1180/1300/1400) chipset is currently supported in Linux
> due to FCC regulation problems.

> Anyhow, I plan to get a new Notebook within the next 2 or 3 weeks and I
> need to decide, whether to go for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 or the
> Broadcom BCM9430x chipset. I know it's hard to say, but what do you
> think, which company (Intel or Broadcom) is more likely to release the
> necessary documents and/or drivers for their chipsets? Both companys
> seem to ignore all inquiries concerning Linux support at the moment.

> While we're at it, are there any news from the WLAN front?

> Thank you!

> Marc

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but
  inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.
                            -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Davide Libenz » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:20:13



> Hi everybody,

> I hope this is not too off-topic, but the fact is that neither the Intel
> PRO/Wireless 2100 (Centrino) chipset nor the Broadcom BCM9430x (e.g.
> Dell Truemobile 1180/1300/1400) chipset is currently supported in Linux
> due to FCC regulation problems.

> Anyhow, I plan to get a new Notebook within the next 2 or 3 weeks and I
> need to decide, whether to go for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 or the
> Broadcom BCM9430x chipset. I know it's hard to say, but what do you
> think, which company (Intel or Broadcom) is more likely to release the
> necessary documents and/or drivers for their chipsets? Both companys
> seem to ignore all inquiries concerning Linux support at the moment.

I used to win the "Dumb context 2003" by buying a laptop w/out checking
the hw compatibility list. It was first sight love :) Now after a series
of custom patches (SiS chipset, pcmcia irq selection, local apic,...)
everything is working fine but the Broadcom integrated WLAN. I suggest you
to go with a machine w/out the integrated WLAN and then buy a supported
pcmcia card (orinoco prismII works great on my machine). To understand who
between Intel and Broadcom will first release specs, take a look at their
web sites for documentation/specs. The answer will become pretty easy.

- Davide

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Jan Mynari » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:30:18


Hi,

Cisco's linux support is great until you have IBM's ThinkPad R40. With
this notebook, their newest Linux driver (version 2.0, older ones do not
support my card) module (mpi350.o) can't be inserted to kernel (oops and
module remains 'initializing' forever). Module is compiled successfully
against both 2.4.20 and 2.4.21-rc7 kernels.

I'm just fighting their bureaucracy (in support) and trying to reach
someone who actually wrote the driver (module says Roland Wilcher). I
want to help him with testing and provide him with all possible
information.

My other chance is to get working new driver from
http://airo-linux.sf.net, but there is no activity in last several
weeks.

Jan Mynarik


> most laptop vendors that provide multiple wireless options also support
> the cisco aironet minipci card, you can allways vote with your wallet if
> you think linux support for wireless chipsets is valuable.

> joelja


> > Hi everybody,

> > I hope this is not too off-topic, but the fact is that neither the Intel
> > PRO/Wireless 2100 (Centrino) chipset nor the Broadcom BCM9430x (e.g.
> > Dell Truemobile 1180/1300/1400) chipset is currently supported in Linux
> > due to FCC regulation problems.

> > Anyhow, I plan to get a new Notebook within the next 2 or 3 weeks and I
> > need to decide, whether to go for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 or the
> > Broadcom BCM9430x chipset. I know it's hard to say, but what do you
> > think, which company (Intel or Broadcom) is more likely to release the
> > necessary documents and/or drivers for their chipsets? Both companys
> > seem to ignore all inquiries concerning Linux support at the moment.

> > While we're at it, are there any news from the WLAN front?

> > Thank you!

> > Marc

> > -
> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

> > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

--

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Disconnec » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:30:21




> > Hi everybody,

> > I hope this is not too off-topic, but the fact is that neither the Intel
> > PRO/Wireless 2100 (Centrino) chipset nor the Broadcom BCM9430x (e.g.
> > Dell Truemobile 1180/1300/1400) chipset is currently supported in Linux
> > due to FCC regulation problems.

> > Anyhow, I plan to get a new Notebook within the next 2 or 3 weeks and I
> > need to decide, whether to go for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 or the
> > Broadcom BCM9430x chipset. I know it's hard to say, but what do you
> > think, which company (Intel or Broadcom) is more likely to release the
> > necessary documents and/or drivers for their chipsets? Both companys
> > seem to ignore all inquiries concerning Linux support at the moment.

> I used to win the "Dumb context 2003" by buying a laptop w/out checking
> the hw compatibility list. It was first sight love :) Now after a series
> of custom patches (SiS chipset, pcmcia irq selection, local apic,...)
> everything is working fine but the Broadcom integrated WLAN. I suggest you
> to go with a machine w/out the integrated WLAN and then buy a supported
> pcmcia card (orinoco prismII works great on my machine). To understand who
> between Intel and Broadcom will first release specs, take a look at their
> web sites for documentation/specs. The answer will become pretty easy.

Find out which one is in that linksys possible-gpl-violation and use
that one.  (I think its broadcom.)

FWIW I got my laptop with the broadcom (dell truemobile) intentionally,
as it is useful under XP and might eventually work under Linux.  (Then I
bought the older truemobile, the 1150 I think, for $80 or so. Swapped
right in, leaving the pcmcia slot for my ipaq's hdd, etc.  Even the
Fn-wireless button correctly turns the radio on/off, although Linux has
no way to detect it except loss of signal.)

--

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Jeremy Fitzharding » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:50:21



> Cisco's linux support is great until you have IBM's ThinkPad R40. With
> this notebook, their newest Linux driver (version 2.0, older ones do not
> support my card) module (mpi350.o) can't be inserted to kernel (oops and
> module remains 'initializing' forever). Module is compiled successfully
> against both 2.4.20 and 2.4.21-rc7 kernels.

> I'm just fighting their bureaucracy (in support) and trying to reach
> someone who actually wrote the driver (module says Roland Wilcher). I
> want to help him with testing and provide him with all possible
> information.

Downgrade your firmware.  On the Cisco site, there's a Linux driver
paired with a particular firmware version.  Use it: there's a bug in the
kernel driver in which it reads stuff out of the card's RIDs into a
local structure, but using the card's RID size.  The newer firmware has
increased the structure sizes for some RIDs, which overruns the stack
and crashes.

I have attached a patch for the driver to fix the crash, but I'm not
confident the card works well without the correct firmware.

        J

  rid-size-fix.diff
4K Download
 
 
 

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Martin List-Peterse » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:10:16



> Hi everybody,

> I hope this is not too off-topic, but the fact is that neither the Intel
> PRO/Wireless 2100 (Centrino) chipset nor the Broadcom BCM9430x (e.g.
> Dell Truemobile 1180/1300/1400) chipset is currently supported in Linux
> due to FCC regulation problems.

> Anyhow, I plan to get a new Notebook within the next 2 or 3 weeks and I
> need to decide, whether to go for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 or the
> Broadcom BCM9430x chipset. I know it's hard to say, but what do you
> think, which company (Intel or Broadcom) is more likely to release the
> necessary documents and/or drivers for their chipsets? Both companys
> seem to ignore all inquiries concerning Linux support at the moment.

I think the chances are even. Buy were you get best value for money. I
bought the TM1400 and swapped it for now with a TM1150 sparepart (it's
not quite expensive).

Also a Orinico based PC-card is available for down to 50 EUR out there.
That would work until a driver is available.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin at list-petersen dot dk
--
A programmer is a person who passes as an exacting expert on the basis of
being able to turn out, after innumerable punching, an infinite series of
incomprehensible answers calculated with micrometric precisions from vague
assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive documents
and carried out on instruments of problematical accuracy by persons of
dubious reliability and questionable mentality for the avowed purpose of
annoying and confounding a hopelessly defenseless department that was
unfortunate enough to ask for the information in the first place.
                -- IEEE Grid newsmagazine

  signature.asc
< 1K Download
 
 
 

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Anders Karlsso » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:40:21



> Hi everybody,

Hullo,

Quote:> I hope this is not too off-topic, but the fact is that neither the Intel
> PRO/Wireless 2100 (Centrino) chipset nor the Broadcom BCM9430x (e.g.
> Dell Truemobile 1180/1300/1400) chipset is currently supported in Linux
> due to FCC regulation problems.

I have pointed out to Intel that 802.11b is _not_ subject to FCC
regulation problems and I hope they will release a driver for the
802.11b Intel/PRO 2100 mini-PCI cards sometime in the (near?) future. It
would be a sensible thing to do IMHO.

Quote:> Anyhow, I plan to get a new Notebook within the next 2 or 3 weeks and I
> need to decide, whether to go for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 or the
> Broadcom BCM9430x chipset. I know it's hard to say, but what do you
> think, which company (Intel or Broadcom) is more likely to release the
> necessary documents and/or drivers for their chipsets? Both companys
> seem to ignore all inquiries concerning Linux support at the moment.

How long is a piece of string? I get replies from Intel when I write to
them, but it is all a bit vague. They will not commit to anything, which
is is frustrating.

/A

  signature.asc
< 1K Download
 
 
 

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Anders Karlsso » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:50:06



> most laptop vendors that provide multiple wireless options also support
> the cisco aironet minipci card, you can allways vote with your wallet if
> you think linux support for wireless chipsets is valuable.

And that is if your laptop will allow such a card to be plugged in and
used of course. Thinkpads with the tcpa chip in them might not allow
such a card, and consequently you can not vote with your wallet unless
you do not buy that laptop at all.

/A

  signature.asc
< 1K Download
 
 
 

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Jeremy Fitzharding » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:30:13



> And that is if your laptop will allow such a card to be plugged in and
> used of course. Thinkpads with the tcpa chip in them might not allow
> such a card,

Nothing to do with TCPA: my laptop doesn't have one, and it objects to
"foreign" wireless cards.  Plain old BIOS is enough.

Fortunately IBM support the Cisco Airo 350 mini-pci card, and supply a
(GPLed) driver.  It isn't the greatest driver (no 2.5 port, seems flakey
when doing anything with the admin tool, no wireless extension support),
but it works enough to make wireless useful.

        J

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

Post by Anders Karlsso » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 00:00:20




> > And that is if your laptop will allow such a card to be plugged in and
> > used of course. Thinkpads with the tcpa chip in them might not allow
> > such a card,

> Nothing to do with TCPA: my laptop doesn't have one, and it objects to
> "foreign" wireless cards.  Plain old BIOS is enough.

I based my statement on a discussion from about a week ago on the list
and that seemed to indicate that the IBM Thinkpads had a 'white-list'
of sorts to allow only some specific mini-PCI cards. IIRC it was the
T40, R40 and X31 that was affected.

Apologies if my statement was incorrect.

/A

  signature.asc
< 1K Download
 
 
 

1. driver for intel Pro 2100 miniPCI wireless card?

Hi Everyone,

I am kind of new to install drivers for linux.  My laptop is dell
inspiron with intel Pro 2100 miniPCI wireless card.  How can I make it
work under redhat 7.3 (with kernel 2.4.20.* ?

Any help and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Jun Ge

2. FTP problems

3. Fedora 5 - Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI adapter woes.

4. Fair SHARE scheduling ?

5. driver for intel Pro 2100 miniPCI wireless card

6. LILO and Plato-Board

7. HELP: Keyboard locked when install NDISWRAPPER for Inter Pro/Wireless 2100 on IBM T40

8. Apache w/mod_perl and (eperl, embperl??)

9. Intel PRO/DSL 2100 modem..

10. Intel 2100 Pro/Dsl Modem

11. Intel Pro/DSL 2100

12. Intel PRO/DSL 2100 Modem

13. Intel PRO/DSL 2100 modem