Patch: linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/mtd compilation fixes

Patch: linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/mtd compilation fixes

Post by David Woodhous » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 20:30:11

Quote:>    The following patch updates linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/mtd to compile.
> This entails some kdev_t fixes and other updates for changes to the
> block device driver interface.

Looks sane - thanks. I see no harm in sending it to Linus. Could you run

Quote:>    In the case of one routine (ftl_reread_partitions), there was a goto
> to a nonexistant label (goto leave), so I think there may have been an
> incomplete patch applied to this subdirectory to begin with

Not in my tree - strange. Oh well, I'll deal with it when 2.5 stabilises
and I stop ignoring it.

Quote:> (also, drivers/mtd/bootldr.c refers to a nonexistant "struct tag", but that
> file is apparently not currently compiled anyhow).

Currently, it's only compiled in the iPAQ kernel tree, where it works - I'm
waiting for the iPAQ people and Russell to stop arguing about how it should
be done, so the result will work in the proper ARM tree (and hence Linus'
tree) too.

a while ago, and I was going to remove the forwarding some time soon.

--
dwmw2

-

Post by Russell Kin » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 21:50:05

> Currently, it's only compiled in the iPAQ kernel tree, where it works - I'm
> waiting for the iPAQ people and Russell to stop arguing about how it should
> be done, so the result will work in the proper ARM tree (and hence Linus'
> tree) too.

I don't see this ever being solved.

Basically, the iPAQ people are quite happy to ignore concerns of the
non-iPAQ community to the point of ignoring any and all discussion
about it for months on end, so I'm happy to not merge the stuff until
they've addressed our concerns.

-

1. Patch?: linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/video kdev_t compilation fixes

        Most (all?) of the frame buffer drivers in
linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/video have a kdev_t compilation error,
because they try to set their fb_info->node field to -1 (it is
a kdev_t).  Shortly thereafter, regsiter_framebuffer sets it to
a more useful value.  So far, I have been unable to spot any
code that relies on fb_info->node being initialized to a
particular value prior to the call to register_framebuffer,
although I have not looked very hard.  What I did see was
some "???" comments beside some of the initializations to -1.
I suspsect that this is just useless initialization.

        Anyhow, deleting all of those initializations to -1
allows all of the framebuffer drivers to compile, which is
that this patch does.  I have also included a tiny patch to
a commented out line in include/linux/fb.h, updating it to
use minor() instead of MINOR(), in case it is every uncommented.

        I am still a long way from getting pre8 to run, so I
have not tested change.  Can anyone point out a place in
drivers/framebuffer that relies on fb_info->node being set to -1,
or minor(fb_info->node) being -1?

        By the way, don't worry if a few of the line offsets in this
patch are off.  That's because of some other changes I have in my
drivers/framebuffer (which I have previous posted, specifically
PCI ID tables, fb font modularization with demand loading, and the
fb core as a loadable module).

--
Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104

+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

  video.diff
21K Download

2. netgear wlan pci card

3. Patch: linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/ieee1394 kdev_t compilation fixes

4. Problem umounting a nfs drive

5. Patch: linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/sound compilation fixes: MINOR-->minor

6. Disk errors reported by Solaris 2.5

7. Patch: linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/md partial compilation fixes

8. Help XF Config: Vivitron 17 monitor & ATI Mach 64 Proturbo (2MB)

9. linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/telephony kdev_t compilation fixes

10. PATCH: linux-2.5.2-pre7/drivers/block/rd.c kdev_t fix

11. linux-2.4.6-pre8/drivers/mtd/nand/spia.c: undefined symbols

12. (trivial 2.5.74) compilation fix drivers/mtd/mtd_blkdevs.c

13. Patch?: linux-2.5.6-pre1/drivers/scsi/pci2000.c compilation fixes + pci device ID table