Binding thread to a processor

Post by jnee.. » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:40:04

Hi all,
     I am using Suse-linux-7.1 with default linux -ppc kernel on apple G4
machine.

I have a multithreaded user application and I need to run it on an
2.4.2-SMP machine. Do I need bind the thread to a particular processor? If
yes, how do I do that?

---
Neeraj Jain

-

Post by Steven Walte » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 02:40:08

> Hi all,
>      I am using Suse-linux-7.1 with default linux -ppc kernel on apple G4
> machine.

> I have a multithreaded user application and I need to run it on an
> 2.4.2-SMP machine. Do I need bind the thread to a particular processor? If
> yes, how do I do that?

> ---
> Neeraj Jain

You shouldn't need to take any special action to get the threads to run
on seperate processes, if that's what you're asking.

If you want the threads to only run on a specific processor each, I'm
afraid that is functionality that isn't availible in the default linux
kernel.
--
-Steven
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

1. Binding "Threads" to processors under Solaris 2.3

Is there any way of binding threads (thread_t) to a processor, without
binding a thread to an lwp (which is in turn bound to a processor)?  Or,
even better, is there any way of restricting an lwp to a set of processors
(>= 1)?

i have a 4 processor SPARCserver 1000.  I want to show how a parallel
application behaves under 1, 2, 3, and 4 processors (is speed up linear,
etc).  So i'd like to be able to restrict the set of processors usable,
without having to go to the trouble of actually turning a processor off.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

-lantz

2. SLS install problems

3. Can I bind a thread on specified processor ?

4. how to make mail & inc work?

5. Performance improvements binding threads to CPUs or thread priorities

6. Linux Printing Usage HOWTO

7. Threads, threads, threads

8. Remote Kernal Building

9. Threads in linux versus threads in NT and threads in Solaris.

10. what process bind to what processor ?

11. Processor bind info

12. Threads in linux versus threads in NT and threads in Solaris.

13. Binding a process to a processor