RFC Proposal to enable MSI support in Linux kernel

RFC Proposal to enable MSI support in Linux kernel

Post by Nakajima, Ju » Sat, 31 May 2003 04:20:07



> -----Original Message-----

> Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 2:55 PM
> To: Nguyen, Tom L
> Cc: Jeff Garzik; Nakajima, Jun;
> Subject: RE: RFC Proposal to enable MSI support in Linux kernel


> > I am working on an updated patch to 2.5.70 to incorporate the comments
> > from you and Jeff Garzik. Regarding the variable renaming of irq, I am
> > open to any suggestions. Please make a recommendation and I will
> > incorporate it into the next update.

> Well essentially, if the function is being passed a vector, lets call the
> parameter 'vector', right now you have to look at the code paths careful
> to determine wether it's an irq number or a vector masquerading as an irq
> number.

Agree.

Quote:

> > Regarding platform_legacy_irq, I have not seen an edge-triggered
> > interrupt failure caused by platform_legacy_irq.

> So we can go with Jeff's suggestion there and remove the unecessary check
> for wether to assign level or edge?

Not so fast. This part is #ifdef CONFIG_ACPI_PCI and legacy IRQs can be overridden by Interrupt Source Overrides. Since they can change polarity (as far as the spec is concerned), I think we should fix the code. Hint: Look at the mp_override_legacy_irq().

Jun

Quote:

>    Zwane
> --
> function.linuxpower.ca

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
 
 
 

RFC Proposal to enable MSI support in Linux kernel

Post by Nicolas Mailho » Sat, 31 May 2003 17:00:16


Hi,

        Before you say all's well in linux 2.5 edge/level APIC processing take
a look at:

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10

(not that I know if it's actually closely related to this thread, but
for once there is an APIC guru gathering on linux-kernel...)

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot

  signature.asc
< 1K Download

 
 
 

RFC Proposal to enable MSI support in Linux kernel

Post by William Lee Irwin II » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 04:40:07



>    Before you say all's well in linux 2.5 edge/level APIC processing take
> a look at:
> http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10
> (not that I know if it's actually closely related to this thread, but
> for once there is an APIC guru gathering on linux-kernel...)

If no one else is up for this, I can probably get by with someone giving
wee bits of ACPI advice and a responsive tester after I get some other
pressing things out of the way.

-- wli
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

RFC Proposal to enable MSI support in Linux kernel

Post by Zwane Mwaikamb » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 09:30:16



> Hi,

>    Before you say all's well in linux 2.5 edge/level APIC processing take
> a look at:

> http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10

> (not that I know if it's actually closely related to this thread, but
> for once there is an APIC guru gathering on linux-kernel...)

It doesn't appear to be a edge/level trigger issue, i've posted a comment
regarding the possible cause (lack of an MADT causes ACPI to make wrong
decision with respect to interrupt controller type). There was a report a
couple of weeks back with what appears to be the same symptoms.

        Zwane
--
function.linuxpower.ca
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

RFC Proposal to enable MSI support in Linux kernel

Post by Zwane Mwaikamb » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 09:50:07



> It doesn't appear to be a edge/level trigger issue, i've posted a comment
> regarding the possible cause (lack of an MADT causes ACPI to make wrong
> decision with respect to interrupt controller type). There was a report a
> couple of weeks back with what appears to be the same symptoms.

Numbnuts Mailer:
Zwane Mwaikambo would like to drag this message back to the nether regions
from whence it came.

--
function.linuxpower.ca
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/