Linux 2.4.19-pre8-jam2

Post by J.A. Magallo » Tue, 14 May 2002 09:20:05

Hi all...

New release of this patch set:

- O(1)-sched rml updates
- IDE convert.10
- Re-introduction of wake_up_sync to make pipes run fast again. No idea
  about this is useful or not, that is the point, to test it (Randy ?)

Get it at:

http://giga.cps.unizar.es/~magallon/linux/kernel/2.4.19-pre8-jam2.tar.gz
http://giga.cps.unizar.es/~magallon/linux/kernel/2.4.19-pre8-jam2/

Happy benchmarks !!!

By.

--
J.A. Magallon                           #  Let the source be with you...

Mandrake Linux release 8.3 (Cooker) for i586
Linux werewolf 2.4.19-pre8-jam2 #3 SMP lun may 13 00:49:15 CEST 2002 i686
-

Linux 2.4.19-pre8-jam2

Post by rwh.. » Tue, 14 May 2002 20:50:10

Quote:> - Re-introduction of wake_up_sync to make pipes run fast again. No idea
>  about this is useful or not, that is the point, to test it (Randy ?)

Thanks, I was hoping someone would port that patch to a 2.4 kernel.
2.5 kernels <= 2.5.15 aren't completing umount on the 4 way Xeon.
I will benchmark the latest jam on the big box next.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rwhron/kernel/bigbox.html

--
Randy Hron

-

Linux 2.4.19-pre8-jam2

Post by Robert Lov » Wed, 15 May 2002 01:40:09

> > - Re-introduction of wake_up_sync to make pipes run fast again. No idea
> >  about this is useful or not, that is the point, to test it (Randy ?)

> Thanks, I was hoping someone would port that patch to a 2.4 kernel.
> 2.5 kernels <= 2.5.15 aren't completing umount on the 4 way Xeon.
> I will benchmark the latest jam on the big box next.

> http://home.earthlink.net/~rwhron/kernel/bigbox.html

Is umount not completing somehow due to the lack of wake_up_sync ???

Fwiw, I am not sold that reintroducing wake_up_sync is worth it.  The
benchmark is synthetic and could very well not represent the general
case in which the load balancer is capable of handling the scenario
without the hackery of an explicit sync option.

        Robert Love

-

Linux 2.4.19-pre8-jam2

Post by rwh.. » Wed, 15 May 2002 07:50:11

Quote:> > > - Re-introduction of wake_up_sync to make pipes run fast again. No idea
> > >  about this is useful or not, that is the point, to test it (Randy ?)
> > 2.5 kernels <= 2.5.15 aren't completing umount on the 4 way Xeon.
> Is umount not completing somehow due to the lack of wake_up_sync ???

The umount issue is unrelated to wake_up_sync.  Could be a scsi driver
issue, as 2.5.x has been fine on my IDE system.  Before the benchmarks,
I mkfs some filesystems and mount and umount them.  Haven't
been able to get past that point with 2.5.x yet.

Quote:> Fwiw, I am not sold that reintroducing wake_up_sync is worth it.  The
> benchmark is synthetic and could very well not represent the general
> case in which the load balancer is capable of handling the scenario
> without the hackery of an explicit sync option.

That could well be.  The kernel build test which applies patches
and compiles with -pipe is as close as I have to a general pipe
test.  The kernel build test has a low variability (~2%) between
any of the kernels tested on the 4 way box.

It's worth testing wake_up_sync though.  Occasionally there's
a surprise.

--
Randy Hron

-

1. USB lockup in 2.4.18-pre8 <-- typo 2.4.19-pre8

sed "s/2.4.18/2.4.19/g"
-

2. OnStream DI30 ATAPI Tape Drive

3. 2.4.19-pre8 != bk -rv2.4.19-pre8

4. Bad Blocks

5. Linux 2.4.19-pre10-jam2

6. I need to copy all SGI(indy) to new SGI(O2)IRIX 6.3

7. Linux 2.4.19-pre5-jam2

8. AfterStep anoyance

9. Linux 2.4.19-pre2-jam2

10. Linux 2.4.19-pre8-jam3