lkml subject line

Post by Gerhard Mac » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 06:40:17

> Pine, Mutt, there might be a few more.

That's a load of *... why should pine filter when you have procmail
just sitting there?

> Just my $0.02.
> Matthew.

Gerhard Mack

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

-

Post by Eli Carte » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:04:47

> > > Dear all (and list maintainers in particular)

> > > Wouldn't it be a good idea to prepend all lkml subjects with [LKML] like
> > > many other lists do to distinguish lkml messages from the rest.

> >   NO!

> Indeed. What a bad idea that would be.

> >   If you want to pre-filter messages traveling thru  linux-kernel  list,
> >   all you need to do is to check the content of   Return-Path:  header.

> On the other hand, that's also not a very good scheme. There *is* a good
> way to do this, and it would be really nice if vger could be taught to do
> it: add a List-Id: header (draft-chandhok-listid-04.txt RFC-to-be,
> implemented in lots of mailing list managers already).

Have you looked at the headers in an LK email?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Should provide that List-Id you want.

Eli
--------------------.              Rule of Accuracy: When working toward
Eli Carter          |               the solution of a problem, it always

-

Please read the FAQ at  http://vger.kernel.org/lkml/

lkml subject line

Post by Mohammad A. Haqu » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:23:37

Or you could just check Sender which is already there.

Quote:

> Indeed. What a bad idea that would be.

> >   If you want to pre-filter messages traveling thru  linux-kernel  list,
> >   all you need to do is to check the content of   Return-Path:  header.

> On the other hand, that's also not a very good scheme. There *is* a good
> way to do this, and it would be really nice if vger could be taught to do
> it: add a List-Id: header (draft-chandhok-listid-04.txt RFC-to-be,
> implemented in lots of mailing list managers already).

> Examples from that doc:

> >   Or perhaps my utter aborrence is due to the way how GNU MAILMAN handles
> >   that tagging (badly, that is).

> Mailman, incidentally, _has_ List-Id: support.

Mohammad A. Haque                              http://www.veryComputer.com/

  "* and calculus don't mix.             Project Lead
   Don't drink and derive." --Unknown          http://www.veryComputer.com/

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

lkml subject line

Post by Peter Samuelso » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:11:25

  [Kai Henningsen]

Quote:> > There *is* a good way to do this, and it would be really nice if
> > vger could be taught to do it: add a List-Id: header
> > (draft-chandhok-listid-04.txt RFC-to-be, implemented in lots of
> > mailing list managers already).

[Eli Carter]

> Have you looked at the headers in an LK email?

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Should provide that List-Id you want.

You missed the point.  Certainly there are ways to identify LK mail.
Kai is saying that since 'List-Id:' is an IETF proposed standard,
Majordomo ought to use it.

Peter
-

lkml subject line

Post by Matti Aarni » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:31:07

> [Eli Carter]
> > Have you looked at the headers in an LK email?

> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Should provide that List-Id you want.

> You missed the point.  Certainly there are ways to identify LK mail.
> Kai is saying that since 'List-Id:' is an IETF proposed standard,
> Majordomo ought to use it.

        There is no STANDARDS TRACK  RFC  saying anything about  List-Id:.
        There are only some individual's submission for a draft about it.
        It is also way overdue to expire (Expires September 23, 1999), and
        it has not been updated, nor advanced towards RFC.

        There are issues where me and DaveM are as obstinate as Linus,
        inserting lots of junky headers and munging others (e.g. Subject:)
        is a big no-no.    You can hash the issue all you want, but you
        can't convince me and DaveM.

        That  X-Mailing-List:  is actually a LOOP detection measure.
        http://vger.kernel.org/lkml/#s3-9

        I do have some plans which will change things at VGER, but those
        details are not ready for publishing yet.

Quote:> Peter

/Matti Aarnio
-

1. e-mail subject line and text in single command line

On my Sparc10/Solaris8, I want to e-mail the results of some processes.  I
have had success with sending the e-mail text, but have not been able to get
the subject line into the command.  The command that works is:

I've tried:

but that doesn't work.

Any suggestions on how to get the subject line into a single command line?

Thanks,
Chuck

2. Where to find: 312gma64.tgz??

3. Deceptive subject line for advertisement (was: Linux obsoletes Windows ...)

4. JavaStation Questions

5. Remove all headers lines except Subject and From?

6. Linux <-> Sun Networking

7. Putting keywords in Subject: lines

8. Trouble installing on IBM Value Point

9. Command line mail Solaris ?Subject?

10. PLEASE DON'T REPEAT LIES IN THE SUBJECT LINE!!

11. subject line in email from Korn script

12. Problems with the Subject line on sending emails.....

13. How to automatically forward mail depending on Subject: line?