+AFs-Linux-ia64+AF0- reader-writer livelock proble

Post by David Mosberge » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:30:12

  Van> I have not looked at this, but I don't believe it is the right
  Van> way to solve the problem: users who +AF8-need+AF8- to use all
  Van> the CPUs for computation would be punished just to work around
  Van> a kernel implementation issue: that's like saying don't allow
  Van> processes to allocate virtual memory because if the VM is
  Van> over-committed by X amount the kernel deadlocks.

  Van> It would be a bad hack to limit the system-call rate just to
  Van> prevent livelock.

Certainly.  I didn't suggest PRM as a way to _solve_ the livelock
problem, but since Mario asked for a method to cap CPU utilization, I
mentiond it.

        --david
-

1. +AFs-Linux-ia64+AF0- reader-writer livelock proble

Probably not. ia64 systems (and x86 systems with IO xapic) direct
IO interrupts to specific CPUs. Devices would not get serviced
in the above case and IO to/from those devices would come to a
grinding halt. It would look more like "dead" lock than "live" lock.

yes. But it sounds very likely to me.

grant
-

2. Multithreaded issue.

3. reader-writer livelock problem

4. browsing a samba share in security=user

5. "tee", but with fast writer, 1 slow reader and 1 fast reader

6. FireHol interfaces

7. reader-writer spin locks

8. umask of running process

9. Linux with CDRW (Cd reader/writer) technology?

10. Semaphores, one writer, multiple readers? (Linux)

11. Linux fs reader (writer) for NT ?

12. flash media reader/writer , which one works with Linux

13. Mount Compact Flash Disk on RH Linux w/ ISA Reader/Writer?