Promise Ultra100 IDE PDC20265 chip problem

Promise Ultra100 IDE PDC20265 chip problem

Post by Peter.Hav.. » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 07:50:05

(I am not subscribed to this list, if it is in fact a list. Please CC any
replies to me directly - Thanks)

I am attempting to install the new beta release of Red Hat (fisher) on my
home computer. It has an Asus A7V motherboard and a Promise Ultra100 IDE
controller (PDC20265 chip), with two partitions. Windows ME is installed in
the first partition. The second one is where I'm attempting to install Red
Hat.

In previous releases of the Linux kernel, my hard drive was not seen at all.
I could go all the way up to the point in the Red Hat installation where it
wanted to do disk geometry, and then said that I didn't have any mass media
device. Searching through various mail archives lead me to believe the
culprit was the PDC20265 controller chip and the fact that it was too new to
be recognized.

In the new kernel 2.4.0 (and thereby the fisher release of Red Hat), I now
see the error below printed out to the console when booting from the Red Hat
installation floppy. After the error is printed out, my computer hangs. I
apologize in advance if this is not a Linux kernel issue, and appreciate any
help that can be provided.

--Pete

[snip]

PDC 20265: chipset revision 2
PDC 20265: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

[snip]

Partition Check:
hde: [PTBL] [1826/255/63] hde1 hde2 < hde5hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=32885055, sector=0
hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

[last repeats 3-4 times]

hde: DMA disabled

[hang]
-

Promise Ultra100 IDE PDC20265 chip problem

Post by Richard B. Johnso » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 08:20:05

Quote:

> (I am not subscribed to this list, if it is in fact a list. Please CC any
> replies to me directly - Thanks)

If you are, in fact, I suggest you contact RedHat.

Quote:> hde: dma_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=32885055, sector=0

                              ----------------
This is something that windows has been hiding from you.

Cheers,
* Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

-

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Promise Ultra100 IDE PDC20265 chip problem

this looks like a sign that the kernel you're using is configured to try
to use

harddisk DMA right at boot.  That *could* cause problems in rare cases.
SectorIdNotFound looks like a bad sector on the harddisk though.
looks like you can't get into linux at all... try scandisk from windows
on Thorough setting (have to format linux partition as fat32 first).

-

2. newbie: help with sed

3. Debian 3.0 / Promise Ultra100 Controller PDC20265

4. Irix 6.5 NIS serving from Linux (RH6.2/ypserv 1.39)

5. Promise PDC20265 Ultra100 Controller on A7V: Can't LILO

6. eshida linux

7. Promise Ultra100 Ide Controller and Caldera EDesktop 2.4

8. .htaccess RedirectMatch rule: does it need the path?

9. Freeze while booting w Promise Ultra100 IDE-Controller

10. Promise Ultra100 TX2 driver problems

11. Strange problems with Promise Ultra100

12. Problem with RedHat 6.2 and Promise Ultra100 (ATA100)

13. Request for info on IDE controllers based on SMC or Promise chip sets