Full-duplex not working with i810_audio

Post by Jean-Marc Vali » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 01:00:20

I can't get full-duplex audio to work on my laptop with 2.4.17 (using
the i810_audio sound driver). I know my card (ADI 188x WDM) supports it
because it works fine with the commercial OSS.

In the sample code:
   fd = open("/dev/dsp", O_RDWR);
   ioctl(fd, SNDCTL_DSP_SETDUPLEX, 0)
I get:
SNDCTL_DSP_SETDUPLEX: Invalid argument

Also, when using the "rec" (based on sox) utility, my kernel crashes
completely (no panic, no oops, nothing else happens).

My setup is:
Compaq Presario 1720CA
PIII mobile 1 GHz / 256 MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon M6 / 8 MB
ADI 188x WDM sound chip (on-board)
RedHat 7.2/2.4.17

Can anyone help me?

        Jean-Marc

P.S. Please CC to me, as I am not subscribed to the list

-

Post by Doug Ledfor » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 03:30:19

> I can't get full-duplex audio to work on my laptop with 2.4.17 (using
> the i810_audio sound driver). I know my card (ADI 188x WDM) supports it
> because it works fine with the commercial OSS.

> In the sample code:
>    fd = open("/dev/dsp", O_RDWR);
>    ioctl(fd, SNDCTL_DSP_SETDUPLEX, 0)
> I get:
> SNDCTL_DSP_SETDUPLEX: Invalid argument

That ioctl is not supported in the base i810 sound driver.

Quote:> Also, when using the "rec" (based on sox) utility, my kernel crashes
> completely (no panic, no oops, nothing else happens).

Download the updated i810_audio.c file from my web site and let me know if
basic recording still crashes for you
(http://people.redhat.com/dledford/i810_audio.c.gz)

> My setup is:
> Compaq Presario 1720CA
> PIII mobile 1 GHz / 256 MB RAM
> ATI Mobility Radeon M6 / 8 MB
> ADI 188x WDM sound chip (on-board)
> RedHat 7.2/2.4.17

> Can anyone help me?

>    Jean-Marc

> P.S. Please CC to me, as I am not subscribed to the list

> -

       Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before
                       e-mailing me about problems

-

1. full-duplex / half-duplex switching, why?

i have rh 8.0 router with iptables and two nic's
eth0 is for local and eth1 for public network.

i can notice in messages something like this:
kernel: eth1: Setting half-duplex on MII #1 link partner capatibility
of 000
kernel: eth1: Setting full-duplex on MII #1 link partner capatibility
of 41e1

it happens more times per day, switching to half-duplex and then back
to full-duplex few minutes later.
why is that?

regards

2. IBM's NetSP w/AIX or OS/2 server & HP 700 Client

3. half-duplex/full-duplex problem

4. Apache Jserv problems

5. Alcatel SpeedTouch Home modem -- half-duplex or full-duplex?

6. Trouble with fgets/scanf

7. full-duplex and half-duplex

8. uucp connection assert error

9. Full-Duplex Audio: What Works?

10. 3c509B not going full-duplex...ideas?

11. Full Duplex/Half duplex problems...

12. Full Duplex and Half Duplex

13. Question on half-duplex and full duplex