Which is currently the most stable 2.4 kernel?

Which is currently the most stable 2.4 kernel?

Post by Chris Ranki » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 03:30:13

Hi,

The UP server does the PPPoE, so that's OK. Has anyone
torture-tested any of the recent kernels? For
instance, I subsequently read a posting from Alan Cox
saying that 2.4.10 didn't survive overnight for him,
implying that he occasionally roasts penguins in some
kind of server-dungeon...

Cheers,
Chris

> On Tuesday, October 02, 2001 11:05:02 AM -0700 Chris
> Rankin

> > All that the servers would be doing would be
> > connecting to the Internet periodically using
> PPPoE
> > and DSL (with NAT), forwarding emails and
> performing
> > various CPU-bound tasks. They should both have
> ample
> > available memory and should not need to swap much,
> if
> > at all.

> > Does anyone have any kernel recommendations /
> > counter-recommendations, please? One server is
> SMP,
> > the other is UP, and both are Intel architecture.

> PPP is not SMP safe in 2.4.x.  You'll run into
> problems on any kernel
> there.  Even on single processor systems, you need
> the ppp patch in
> 2.4.9-ac16 or 2.4.11pre1.

> Other than that, 2.4.10 + andrea's vmtweaks patch
> does well.  2.4.9-ac18 is
> a good alternative.

> -chris

1. Any stable 2.4 kernel?

My recommendation would be to ask Intel to release the
documentation for the 440GX so the people writing the
Linux kernel have a chance of working around the bugs.

Alternatively, get hardware for which documentation is
available.

regards,

Rik
--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C?  Who cares?  http://thefreeworld.net/

http://www.surriel.com/             http://distro.conectiva.com/

-

2. No volume groups were found on any configured disks

3. Stable 2.4 kernel source recommendation

4. NIS+

5. "Stable" 2.4.X Linux Kernels

6. Porting our products to Linux

7. Most stable 2.4 kernel

8. Switching WM's

9. Problem with networking - I am using RedHat 9 Linux kernel 2.4

10. Which is currently the most stable 2.4 kernel? (PPP)

11. How can I find out what version of Apache I am currently running?

12. how find out what shell i am currently on

13. how to tell what init level i am currently on