Wake On Lan broken since kernel version 2.4.14

Wake On Lan broken since kernel version 2.4.14

Post by Santiago Garcia Mantina » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:20:07

Hi!

On kernel 2.4.13 with acpi compiled one could have at least the cards which
use the driver 3c59x, when option enable_wol=1 was set, to wake his computer
when a WOL packet had been sent to the net.

However, since version 2.4.14 and up to 2.4.18pre7 inclusive, WOL is not
working, and it is again because of ACPI code, if you don't compile ACPI in
and you compile for example APM, then it will work, but if you compile ACPI
then it won't.

I'd like to provide more info on this, but I don't know what else to say
exept that this was tested on a PIII via chipset based machine and on a PIV
intel based one with the same results, I'm using Donald Becker's ether-wake.

If you want more info I'll try to gatter it.

Regards...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net
-

1. Unwanted Swapping in 2.4.14-pre8, no swapping in 2.4.14-pre6aa1

Yes. Currently, the kernel "tries" to keep the LRU list of pages with 90%
of mapped pages and 10% of cache when there is memory pressure.

By looking at mm/vmscan.c::shrink_cache() you can see:

        int max_scan = nr_inactive_pages / priority;
        int max_mapped = nr_pages << (9 - priority);

"max_scan" is the max. number of pages the kernel will scan on the
inactive list (the inactive list is usually 1/3 of the total amount of
pages) each time "shrink_cache()" is called.

"max_mapped" is the (roughly) maximum number of non-cache (anonymous)
pages the kernel will scan _before_ it tries to search for data to map to
swap. So basically right now we will scan

You should try to increase "max_mapped" to "nr_pages << (10 - priority)"
and so on until you get good tuning for your workload.

-

2. Please Help!

3. Kernel 2.4.14 -- BTTV broken???

4. grep - getting the process name with awk (when it's over a day old)

5. kernel 2.4.14 breaks NVIDIA-1.0-1541 console switching

6. port 137 and cisco isdn

7. Memory accounting problem in 2.4.13, 2.4.14pre, and possibly 2.4.14

8. using sigaction

9. Kernel 2.4.14 bug(let), and kernel compilation error

10. Kernel 2.4.14, arch/i386/kernel/apm.c, SMP power-off busted?

11. 2.4.14 cpia driver IS broke

12. CPQARRAY driver horribly broken in 2.4.14

13. broken highmemory working in new WM (2.4.14 freeze continuation)