(2.4.1-ac15) pcmcia irq conflict

Post by Jason Straigh » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:14:59

Upgrading from 2.2.18 and 2.4.0 to 2.4.1-ac15 broke pcmcia.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8000. Trying to use pcmcia with kernel
(yenta_socket) or pcmcia-cs only causes pcmcia card to take irq 11,
which my eth device is on also. This didn't happen with 2.2 or 2.4.0
kernels.

What param would I pass (how can I specify) to get yenta_socket to take
say IRQ 9 or 10 on startup?

Thanks

--
Jason Straight
-

(2.4.1-ac15) pcmcia irq conflict

Post by Alan Co » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:18:48

Quote:> I have a Dell Inspiron 8000. Trying to use pcmcia with kernel
> (yenta_socket) or pcmcia-cs only causes pcmcia card to take irq 11,
> which my eth device is on also. This didn't happen with 2.2 or 2.4.0
> kernels.

Sharing a PCI irq is legal, so that isnt the cause. It could be that the
irq routing isnt getting handled correctly however.
-

(2.4.1-ac15) pcmcia irq conflict

Post by Jason Straigh » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:40:16

Any suggestions of things I could try to help pinpoint the problem and
let you know the results? Everything was fine before 2.4.1.

I've been using the pcmcia-cs without kernel pcmcia support up until it
didn't work with 2.4.1, then I tried using the kernel pcmcia and no deal
there either.

As soon as I try to start pcmcia my machine freezes. When using
yenta_socket I can see that the TI pcmcia and eth0 (intel eepro100) are
both on irq 11.

when using the pcmcia-cs way of it I tried "exclude irq 11" in
config.opts and /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia set "PCIC_OPTS="irq_list=9,10,15
pci_irq_list=9,10,15"
as was suggested in this post :
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=inspiron+8000+pcmcia+2.4.1&hl=en&lr...

It didn't work for me - at least not with 2.4.1-ac13 to ac15

I didn't disable my minipci ethernet because I need it and if the IRQ's
for pcmcia didn't use 11 now I wouldn't think I would need to.

>> I have a Dell Inspiron 8000. Trying to use pcmcia with kernel
>> (yenta_socket) or pcmcia-cs only causes pcmcia card to take irq 11,
>> which my eth device is on also. This didn't happen with 2.2 or 2.4.0
>> kernels.

> Sharing a PCI irq is legal, so that isnt the cause. It could be that the
> irq routing isnt getting handled correctly however.
> -

Jason Straight

-

1. PCMCIA 2.8.8 - ethernet and modem irq conflict

Whenever I try to boot onto the ethernet network (i.e. use the 3com
card in pcmcia slot 1), my system hangs during boot time.

If I remove the modem from slot 0, the system works fine.

Also, if I put the modem in slot 1 and the 3com card in slot 0, the
modem is unusable.

I'm using slackware 3.0 with the 1.2.13 kernel and I built the 2.8.8
pcmcia files myself.

Has anyone seen this?

Bill
--
William York

2. 1024x768 and monitor goes night..night...

3. PCMCIA IRQ Conflicts

4. Netscape bus error

5. Avoiding IRQ 12 conflict with PCMCIA?

6. KDE Configuration Questions

7. IRQ on 3C589C PCMCIA card conflict

8. 'ipfw' help, please.

9. modem irq conflict after conflicting card removed!

10. IRQ routing conflicts / Assigning IRQ 0 to ethernet

11. conflicting IRQ's -> X hangs

12. Conflicting IRQ's