[BENCHMARK] DBT-2 2.5.65/mjb/osdl comparison data

[BENCHMARK] DBT-2 2.5.65/mjb/osdl comparison data

Post by Mary Edie Meredit » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:20:19



We have now comparison data for DBT-2 (readprofile included) from
multiple kernels. To provide a quick comparison for those not
familiar with DBT-2, we've compared the results, using 2.5.65 stock
as the baseline (bigger is better).

                        Score           Score
Kernel                  Cached          Non-Cached
2.5.65 base             100 (baseline)  100
2.5.65-mjb2 HZ=100      90.95           99.26
2.5.65-mjb2 HZ=1000     102.38          99.92
2.5.65-osdl1            101.69          99.89
2.5.64-osdl1            104.16          99.67

HZ is defined as 1000 in the base and osdl1 kernels. mjb2 kernel uses
Andrew Morton / Dave Hansen patch making HZ a config option of
100 Hz or 1000 Hz).  Also we reversed out the 400-shpte patch.

Link to .config, readprofiles, metric info, raw data:

http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/8way_2_5_65.html

Guided tour:

At the top of the screen, you will see a row that includes the .config
and the readprofile data for each kernel tested.

Next is the list of runs of each type, the average metric (Green
line) bigger numbers are better. The first set of these is the
cached workload case, second is non-cached.

Click on "Raw data" for the vmstat, iostat raw info from each run of
that kernel and workload type.

Just some things noticed looking at the vmstat plotted data:

Notible difference in processes waiting for run time, all 2.5.65
are high relative to 2.5.64(the last frame) for the cached case
(first row of frames) in these plots:
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/r.html

Of course, interrupts are down for the HZ=100 case (second frame,
both rows):
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/In.html

Context switches per second slightly down to for HZ=100:
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/cs.html

Moving on to 2.5.66 to escape problems with "sleep".

Mary Meredith
Mark Wong
Cliff White

Open Source Development Lab
www.osdl.org
~                                            
--

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

[BENCHMARK] DBT-2 2.5.65/mjb/osdl comparison data

Post by Patrick Mansfiel » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 01:40:05



>                         Score           Score
> Kernel                  Cached          Non-Cached
> 2.5.65 base             100 (baseline)  100
> 2.5.65-mjb2 HZ=100      90.95           99.26
> 2.5.65-mjb2 HZ=1000     102.38          99.92
> 2.5.65-osdl1            101.69          99.89
> 2.5.64-osdl1            104.16          99.67

> HZ is defined as 1000 in the base and osdl1 kernels. mjb2 kernel uses
> Andrew Morton / Dave Hansen patch making HZ a config option of
> 100 Hz or 1000 Hz).  Also we reversed out the 400-shpte patch.

> Link to .config, readprofiles, metric info, raw data:

> http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/8way_2_5_65.html

Do you have readprofiles of the non-cached runs?

-- Patrick Mansfield
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

[BENCHMARK] DBT-2 2.5.65/mjb/osdl comparison data

Post by Mary Edie Meredit » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 02:00:14


No, I didn't capture read profiles on the non-cached cases.  I will be
collecting readprofile on all cases when I go to 2.5.66, but I didn't on
this round.

If you have a special interest, I can go back and get the data.  It
takes 2hrs per kernel.  If you could identify a subset most interesting
to you, I can do those first.



> >                         Score           Score
> > Kernel                  Cached          Non-Cached
> > 2.5.65 base             100 (baseline)  100
> > 2.5.65-mjb2 HZ=100      90.95           99.26
> > 2.5.65-mjb2 HZ=1000     102.38          99.92
> > 2.5.65-osdl1            101.69          99.89
> > 2.5.64-osdl1            104.16          99.67

> > HZ is defined as 1000 in the base and osdl1 kernels. mjb2 kernel uses
> > Andrew Morton / Dave Hansen patch making HZ a config option of
> > 100 Hz or 1000 Hz).  Also we reversed out the 400-shpte patch.

> > Link to .config, readprofiles, metric info, raw data:

> > http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/8way_2_5_65.html

> Do you have readprofiles of the non-cached runs?

> -- Patrick Mansfield

> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by:
> The Definitive IT and Networking Event. Be There!
> NetWorld+Interop Las Vegas 2003 -- Register today!
> http://ads.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?keyn0001en
> _______________________________________________
> Lse-tech mailing list

> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lse-tech

--

Open Source Development Lab

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

[BENCHMARK] DBT-2 2.5.65/mjb/osdl comparison data

Post by Martin J. Blig » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 02:00:22


Looks like you're going to get more bang for the buck for this
benchmark by playing around with some of the IO stuff like readahead
or whatever ...

00000000 total                                    6309908  36.9433
c01089b0 default_idle                             6187707 96682.9219

Not all that much room for improvment with CPU efficiency ;-)

M.


> We have now comparison data for DBT-2 (readprofile included) from
> multiple kernels. To provide a quick comparison for those not
> familiar with DBT-2, we've compared the results, using 2.5.65 stock
> as the baseline (bigger is better).

>                         Score           Score
> Kernel                  Cached          Non-Cached
> 2.5.65 base             100 (baseline)  100
> 2.5.65-mjb2 HZ=100      90.95           99.26
> 2.5.65-mjb2 HZ=1000     102.38          99.92
> 2.5.65-osdl1            101.69          99.89
> 2.5.64-osdl1            104.16          99.67

> HZ is defined as 1000 in the base and osdl1 kernels. mjb2 kernel uses
> Andrew Morton / Dave Hansen patch making HZ a config option of
> 100 Hz or 1000 Hz).  Also we reversed out the 400-shpte patch.

> Link to .config, readprofiles, metric info, raw data:

> http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/8way_2_5_65.html

> Guided tour:

> At the top of the screen, you will see a row that includes the .config
> and the readprofile data for each kernel tested.

> Next is the list of runs of each type, the average metric (Green
> line) bigger numbers are better. The first set of these is the
> cached workload case, second is non-cached.

> Click on "Raw data" for the vmstat, iostat raw info from each run of
> that kernel and workload type.

> Just some things noticed looking at the vmstat plotted data:

> Notible difference in processes waiting for run time, all 2.5.65
> are high relative to 2.5.64(the last frame) for the cached case
> (first row of frames) in these plots:
> http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/r.html

> Of course, interrupts are down for the HZ=100 case (second frame,
> both rows):
> http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/In.html

> Context switches per second slightly down to for HZ=100:
> http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/8way/MJB65/cs.html

> Moving on to 2.5.66 to escape problems with "sleep".

> Mary Meredith
> Mark Wong
> Cliff White

> Open Source Development Lab
> www.osdl.org
> ~                                            
> --

> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by:
> The Definitive IT and Networking Event. Be There!
> NetWorld+Interop Las Vegas 2003 -- Register today!
> http://ads.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?keyn0001en
> _______________________________________________
> Lse-tech mailing list

> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lse-tech

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
 
 
 

[BENCHMARK] DBT-2 2.5.65/mjb/osdl comparison data

Post by Patrick Mansfiel » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 03:30:14



> No, I didn't capture read profiles on the non-cached cases.  I will be
> collecting readprofile on all cases when I go to 2.5.66, but I didn't on
> this round.

> If you have a special interest, I can go back and get the data.  It
> takes 2hrs per kernel.  If you could identify a subset most interesting
> to you, I can do those first.

I am wondering if you are seeing any lock contention for the
host_lock/queue_lock in scsi.

There are some patches not in mainline that I would like to see run
against a multi-disk IO intensive benchmark.

They are currently applied in this bk tree:

bk://linux-scsi.bkbits.net/scsi-locking-2.5

Or, I could send you a patch against 2.5.66.

If you can run with the above and compare to 2.5.66 I would appreciate it
(readprofiles for both cases would still be useful). I would hope to see
at least lower system times.

Thanks.

-- Patrick Mansfield
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

1. ide kernel panic: 2.5.64-ac3 2.5.65-ac1 2.5.65-mm4

AMD K6/2 with VIA chipset has this panic at boot:

Kernel panic: ide: default attach failed

Panic on 2.5.64-ac3, 2.5.65-ac[13], 2.5.65-mm4, 2.5.65-bk4.

No panic on 2.5.61-ac1, 2.5.65-mm3, 2.5.65, 2.4.21-pre5, 2.4.21-pre5-ac3.

No modules.

egrep '^C.*IDE|^C.*VIA' /usr/src/linux-2.5.65-ac1/.config
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y

Boot message on 2.5.65-ac1:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:07.1
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: VIA vt82c586b (rev 47) IDE UDMA33 controller on pci00:07.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: Maxtor 51536U3, ATA DISK drive
hdb: ATAPI CDROM, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hdc: Maxtor 52049U4, ATA DISK drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: host protected area => 1
hda: 30015216 sectors (15368 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=29777/16/63, UDMA(33)
 hda: [PTBL] [1868/255/63] hda1 hda2 hda3
hdc: host protected area => 1
hdc: 40020624 sectors (20491 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=39703/16/63, UDMA(33)
 hdc: hdc1 hdc2 hdc3
ide-disk: hdc: Failed to register the driver with ide.c
ide-default: hdc: Failed to register the driver with ide.c
Kernel panic: ide: default attach failed

lspci -vvv for IDE interface

IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 64
Region 4: I/O ports at e000 [size=16]

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598 [Apollo MVP3] (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598/694x [Apollo MVP3/Pro133x AGP]
00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/A/B PCI-to-ISA [Apollo VP] (rev 47)
00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:07.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B ACPI (rev 10)
00:13.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV6 [Vanta] (rev 15)

--
Randy Hron
http://home.earthlink.net/~rwhron/kernel/bigbox.html

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2. xdm, LOGNAME and xlock

3. [2.5.65] kexec for 2.5.65 available

4. date manipulation under csh/ksh under solaris

5. benchmark anobjrmap with 2.5.65-mm2

6. VMware for linux how do i uninstall?

7. AIM9 benchmark result for kernel 2.5.65

8. Linux on a CPU 486 with 66 MHz?

9. OSDL DBT-2 AS vs. Deadline 2.5.68-mm2

10. OSDL DBT-2 AS vs. Deadline 2.5.69-mm3 2.5.69-mm2

11. [BENCHMARK] OSDL-DBT-2 - 2.4 vs 2.5 4-way/8-way with vmstat

12. Some Warning from gcc-3.4-cvs for 2.5.65

13. 2.5.65: 3C905 driver doesn't work.