new aic7xxx bug, 2.4.13/6.2.4

Post by Hans-Peter Janse » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:50:14

[...]

Quote:> > But the mid-layer has already decided that it can't recover this device,
> > so it calls it dead and refuses to allow I/O to it anymore.

> This is definitely wrong. The drive won't do anything now without a
> reboot (or maybe removing and reinserting all scsi modules; I could do
> that but I haven't tried it).

> > Have you recently changed your version of cdrdao?  Perhaps that program
> > is issuing a command that this particular drive simply will not accept?

> This is the same drive and version of cdrdao that have ripped more than
> 100 CDs. It's just this particular CD that breaks in this way at the
> same spot every time.

> If the DVD-ROM can't handle that CD then that's fine, but it would be
> nice if such a broken CD didn't result in not being able to use that
> drive at all anymore.

FYI: I've found a similar result under totally different conditions:
2.4.13-ac7
Vendor: TOSHIBA  Model: DVD-ROM SD-M1502 Rev: 1012
Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
via ide-scsi

cdrdao read-cd --device /dev/sr0 --driver generic-mmc --buffers 80 -n
--eject --paranoia-mode 0 toc
[...]
?: Input/output error.  : scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  BE 00 00 04 2C 67 00 00 1A F8 01 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
cmd finished after 20.101s timeout 20s
?: Input/output error.  : scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  BE 00 00 04 2E 43 00 00 1A F8 01 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
cmd finished after 20.101s timeout 20s
[...]
killed with ^c

locked the drive completely. Need to reboot to eject the cd...
I suspect some bad interference between DVD firmware, kernel
SCSI error handling and cdrdao. A plextor reader finally
succeeded on this job (wink :)

Maybe you're barking up the wrong tree.

Hans-Peter

Quote:> thanks for your help,