2.4.21-rc1 "breaks" older procps

Post by Andre Tom » Thu, 08 May 2003 20:50:12

Hi kernel gurus.

The IDE changes that went into 2.4.21-pre seems to make older procps
unhappy, at least the one in Debian 3.0r1 (latest stable). Upgrading to
a newer procps seems to fix this, but is this breakage really needed?
"Breaking" stable debian userland is not very nice :-)

I thought about notifying the debian maintainers instead, but somehow I
have this feeling this is just a little fixable detail in the kernel.

Yes, I'm 100% sure this system.map (both actually) is matching the
running kernel.

$ ps aux
{ide_dma_intr} {GPLONLY_ide_dma_intr}
Warning: /boot/System.map-2.4.21-rc1-s3 does not match kernel data.
{ide_dma_intr} {GPLONLY_ide_dma_intr}
Warning: /usr/src/linux/System.map does not match kernel data.
USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
<snip>

--
Cheers,
Andr Tomt

-

2.4.21-rc1 "breaks" older procps

Post by Andre Tom » Thu, 08 May 2003 21:10:06

In my great tradition on replying to my own posts, here's another one.

Quote:> The IDE changes that went into 2.4.21-pre seems to make older
> procps unhappy, at least the one in Debian 3.0r1 (latest
> stable). Upgrading to a newer procps seems to fix this, but
> is this breakage really needed? "Breaking" stable debian
> userland is not very nice :-)

I forgot to mention what procps version I was using, it is 2.0.7 debian
patchlevel 9.

--
Cheers,
Andr Tomt