NTFS: 2.0.15 - Fake inodes based attribute i/o via the page cache, fixes, cleanups

NTFS: 2.0.15 - Fake inodes based attribute i/o via the page cache, fixes, cleanups

Post by Axel Siebenwirt » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:10:08

Hi!

Has there been any progress in the work on NTFS write support on NTFS W2k+
filesystems? Is it still the lack of information on the filesystem from
Microsoft?

I'm just interested since I have an NTFS (WinXP) partition on which I would
like to write on..

Regards,
Axel
-

NTFS: 2.0.15 - Fake inodes based attribute i/o via the page cache, fixes, cleanups

Post by Anton Altaparmako » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:30:10

Hi,

Quote:>Has there been any progress in the work on NTFS write support on NTFS W2k+
>filesystems? Is it still the lack of information on the filesystem from
>Microsoft?

Write support has not been started yet. The read-only driver is shaping up
nicely however so it should be possible to start on write support in the
next few weeks. But don't hold your breath. It is going to take a looong
time to have full write support...

Best regards,

         Anton

--
   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
--

Linux NTFS Maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.openprojects.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

-

NTFS: 2.0.15 - Fake inodes based attribute i/o via the page cache, fixes, cleanups

Post by Anton Altaparmako » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:40:07

Quote:>Is it still the lack of information on the filesystem from Microsoft?

No, we have a pretty good idea of ntfs now. But it is a complicated fs and
when writing you need to take care of a lot of things simultaneously or you
corrupt the volume. ntfs is organized as a transactional, relational
database , hence there is a lot of book keeping involved in modifyin any
structure. Even without supporting the journal (we will not support it at
least initially...) almost all data is duplicated in various places and if
you forget to update something somewhere when updating it elsewhere you
basically make salad of the metadata and the probability is quite high that
you end up killing the data on the volume either in part or completely...

Finally I am busy with my PhD and I have two part time jobs as well so I
don't have much time to develop ntfs... As always with free software
development, it goes slowly...

Anton

--
   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
--

Linux NTFS Maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.openprojects.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

-

NTFS: 2.0.15 - Fake inodes based attribute i/o via the page cache, fixes, cleanups

Post by Axel Siebenwirt » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 06:00:10

Hi Anton!

> No, we have a pretty good idea of ntfs now. But it is a complicated fs and

That is one thing I'd really be interested in kernel development since I
have some own interest in it. Is there some resource on the internet where
can get the necessary information to have a look into understanding NTFS
write support and maybe help with it.

Quote:> structure. Even without supporting the journal (we will not support it at
> least initially...)

That would be way too complicated I guess?!

Quote:> Finally I am busy with my PhD and I have two part time jobs as well so I

Good Luck!

Regards,
Axel
-

Post by Anton Altaparmako » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 06:20:04

> > No, we have a pretty good idea of ntfs now. But it is a complicated fs and

>That is one thing I'd really be interested in kernel development since I
>have some own interest in it. Is there some resource on the internet where
>can get the necessary information to have a look into understanding NTFS
>write support and maybe help with it.

In the kernel source fs/ntfs/layout.h is a header file describing the full
on disk layout of NTFS (except journalling and encryption).

We have html documentation about ntfs on our linux-ntfs website (note if
you see conflicting information between the documentation and layout.h
always take layout.h to be correct, there still some discrepancies which we
need to iron out...). You can go directly to the documentation by going to
this url:

         http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ntfs/

Our user space library and tools can also be helpful, especially I have
written some documents and placed them in the linux-ntfs/doc directory. You
can just download linux-ntfs 1.6.0 and read the documentation there. But
the code in 1.6.0 is very out of date. The library has been pretty much
completely rewritten, massively cleaned up, and the functionality has been
extended. You can get all the goodies from cvs. For instructions see here:

         http://sf.net/cvs/?group_id=13956

Best regards,

         Anton