aic7xxx freezes with kernel 2.4.13

Post by Pim Zandberge » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 00:30:17

Hi,

I've got a Dell PowerEdge 1300 with dual PIII's and dual aic7xxx
controllers. One controller is onboard, the other is in a PCI slot.

The system is running Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.13.

Lately, this system is experiencing freezes that may last one or two
minutes. These usually occur during heavy Samba activity. After the
freeze, the system usually recovers, but by then, the Samba clients
have timed out their operations.

Syslog shows the freezes are related to the SCSI subsystem. I'm having
trouble interpreting this information. Is my hardware suspect or could
this be a driver bug?

Syslog entries (with aic7xxx=verbose) showing the boot process and a
system freeze can be found on

http://www.macroscoop.nl/~pim/aic7xxx/syslog.html (98.080 bytes) or
http://www.macroscoop.nl/~pim/aic7xxx/syslog.gz   (6.410 bytes)

Thanks,
Pim
-

Post by Ralf Prenge » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:28:35

> Syslog shows the freezes are related to the SCSI subsystem. I'm having
> trouble interpreting this information. Is my hardware suspect or could
> this be a driver bug?

> Syslog entries (with aic7xxx=verbose) showing the boot process and a
> system freeze can be found on

Which drivers do you use?
The old or the new.
You can find both in the kernel.
I had similar problems using the new version of the driver.

--
Ralf Prengel
Dortmund

1. aic7xxx freezes with kernel 2.4.13 - solved

Hi,

For the archives: my problem is solved. The problem went away after
removing a (crashed) IDE disk and the HPT370 IDE controller it was
connected to. I replaced the faulty IDE disk with a SCSI disk and
now all my IDE and SCSI problems are gone.

Thanks for your input,
Pim

-

2. Why difference compiling squid for Sparc and x86.

3. aic7xxx freezes with kernel 2.4.13

4. newbie question (again): samba & windows 2000/98

5. Kernel panic: Loop 1 (aic7xxx under 2.4.13-ac[246])

6. Modelines in XF86Config

7. new aic7xxx bug, 2.4.13/6.2.4

8. Problem with ytalk ??

9. emu10k1 freezes 2.4.13

10. 2.4.13-pre6 breaks Nvidia's kernel module

11. Deadlock in kernel > 2.4.13-pre6

12. Deadlock on kernels > 2.4.13-pre6