Wake-on-LAN/PCI Linux support

Post by Felipe Alfaro Solan » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:20:06

Hello,

Does Linux currently support Wake-on-LAN/PCI? I have a 3Com 3c905 TX-M
NIC which supports wake-on-LAN and wake-on-PCI. On Windows XP, I have
configured the system so that I can use "ether-wake" to wake up my
system from standby/hibernation remotely through the network.

This even works when I shutdown the machine from Windows XP. It seems
that shutting down from Windows XP does not totally disable power from
the computer. I think the computer must be in a deep standby mode cause
the NIC is working and listening on the network. In fact, when shutting
down XP, the switch port for my NIC card shows the card is listening. If
I use "ether-wake", the computer powers up and starts booting up.

However, when I shut down linux by using "init 0", the system gets
totally shut down, including the NIC. The switch port for the NIC shows
the card is not mantaining the link and thus, "ether-wake" is totally
useless.

I would like to see similar support on Linux.

Sincerely,

   Felipe Alfaro

-

Post by Jeff Garzi » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:10:05

> Hello,

> Does Linux currently support Wake-on-LAN/PCI?

yes, use 'ethtool' to enable/configure wake-on support

 > I have a 3Com 3c905 TX-M

Quote:> NIC which supports wake-on-LAN and wake-on-PCI.

for 3c59x specifically, it does not (yet) implement WOL support in the
driver

-

1. Wake-on-Lan support for Linux?

Hello EveryOne,

I was wandering if anybody had succeeded of using Linux to send a
"wake-up" magic packet to wake a machine?

The principle is simple,
A magic packet is a packet where the data contains 16 times the mac
address of the machine to wakeup.

What I had in mind is to use ping as follow

ping 255.255.255.255 -s 96 -p 0050568a0000 -c 1

Which will send a packet to my private lan only once.

To those expert could that work?

Thanks
Andre

2. HME link_mode disagrees with Catalyst Switch ?

3. Which 10/100Mbit-NIC with Wake-On-LAN for Linux ???

4. Driver for Linksys HPN200 Ethernet card

5. X Window and AppleColor Hi-Res RGB monitor

6. Linux and Wake-on-LAN NIC feature

7. Connot connect to port on server : networking problem?

8. Generating a wake-on-lan "magic" packet on Linux?

9. 3c905c with Wake-on-lan ?

10. wake-on-lan only works when machine is off!

11. How to wake-on-lan ?

12. Wake-on-LAN