2.5.x fixes IDE sleep problems, (hdparm -Y), on PIIX3, (at least).

2.5.x fixes IDE sleep problems, (hdparm -Y), on PIIX3, (at least).

Post by jbradf.. » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 23:00:13

We were discussing some time ago about IDE drives not waking up from a sleep command, (I.E. hdparm -Y as opposed to a standby, hdparm -y), and this is indeed true at least for a Maxtor drive on my PIIX3 chipset, running 2.4.19.

However, with 2.5.40 it _does_, (eventually, after about 20 seconds), reset the disk.  Here is the output of dmesg:

hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
hda: timeout waiting for DMA
hda: timeout waiting for DMA
hda: (__ide_dma_test_irq) called while not waiting
hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }

hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success

So, this seems to be fixed in the 2.5.X IDE code.

John.
-

1. DMA problems w/ PIIX3 IDE, 2.4.20-pre4-ac2

I had some problems like this using 2.4.17 on a PIIX3 board (don't know the
board type). The problems disappeared after switching to 2.4.19.
Unforunately I had to change the processor and processor fan about the same
time.

I tend to believe that this problem was related to CPU temperature not to
kernel bugs. I don't have any means of measuring CPU temperature on this
board. But the old CPU certainly burnt out, because the fan was not
working too well ;-(((

-

2. 3com 3C509B-TPO ISA card - no go

3. turn off speaker forever?

4. Fix incorrect enablebits for all AMD IDE chips, 2.4 and 2.5

5. Dual boot problem Win98SE/Suse6.2

6. nbd driver for 2.5+: fix for 2.5 block layer (improved)

7. Want to know update web site for updated valid kernel commands

8. IDE and CDROM devices (was Re: [IDE bug] hdparm lockup)

9. sleeping, or at least running, quietly

10. hdparm sleep?

11. what's the difference between 2.4-IDE and 2.5-IDE in ATA ?

12. [2.5] sctp: possible sleep w/ lock held