Changing the device between usb printers

Post by Antonio Hernande » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 21:00:26

Changing the device between usb printers.

I have several usb printers, each have a device to work
/dev/usb/lp0.../dev/usb/lp1/...etc. an example for the problem. If I
turn off 2 printers, printer #1 (/dev/usb/lp0)and printer #2
(/dev/usb/lp1)  if i turn on first printer#2 and later printer #1 I got
for printer#2 to /dev/usb/lp0 and printer #1 (/dev/usb/lp1), if the
printers are the same is not a problem but if the printers aren't the
same then exist a problem  when I send to print. I put a dmesg in
console and I got messages from "hub.c" that it put the number of
bus3/3/1 for a printer and bus3/3/2 to another but "printer.c" put
always usblp0 for the first printer detected and usblp1 to another. I
think that "printer.c" must to follow the same idea that hub.c to use
like /dev/usb/bus/3/3/2/lp or something like that

I have a Mandrake 9.0 distribution, I try with the kernel 2.4.20 and
2.4.21-pre6 too, all have the same problem

Thank you

-

Post by Greg K » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 07:50:04

> Changing the device between usb printers.

> I have several usb printers, each have a device to work
> /dev/usb/lp0.../dev/usb/lp1/...etc. an example for the problem. If I
> turn off 2 printers, printer #1 (/dev/usb/lp0)and printer #2
> (/dev/usb/lp1)  if i turn on first printer#2 and later printer #1 I got
> for printer#2 to /dev/usb/lp0 and printer #1 (/dev/usb/lp1), if the
> printers are the same is not a problem but if the printers aren't the
> same then exist a problem  when I send to print. I put a dmesg in
> console and I got messages from "hub.c" that it put the number of
> bus3/3/1 for a printer and bus3/3/2 to another but "printer.c" put
> always usblp0 for the first printer detected and usblp1 to another. I
> think that "printer.c" must to follow the same idea that hub.c to use
> like /dev/usb/bus/3/3/2/lp or something like that

Yes, this is a problem.  People are working on solutions to this issue
for 2.5, so it will hopefully be solved some day :)

greg k-h
-

1. USB Printer changed device number on each power cycle

I'm trying to use an HP Deskjet 842C as a shared printer via SAMBA under
Redhat with the 2.4 kernel.  The problem is, every time I need to power
cycle the printer (to clear a junk file that's printing, for example), the
USB drivers assign a it a new device number (see attached log excerpt.)
This means that anyone using SAMBA to print to it can't do so any more.
What's the fix for this if any?

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 7
printer.c: usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 7 if 0 alt 1
keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
uhci.c: root-hub INT complete: port1: 95 port2: 49a data: 4
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 7
uhci.c: root-hub INT complete: port1: 95 port2: 488 data: 4
uhci.c: root-hub INT complete: port1: 95 port2: 493 data: 4
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 8
printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 8 if 0 alt 1

James

2. libc question.

3. USB device has no driver in /proc/bus/usb/devices

4. HOwto backup on tapestreamer

5. USB printer device not found

6. DNS on a HP system

7. Changing USB Device from Modem to Network

8. DNS configuration to access INTERNET - LAN

9. Device Name for HP Jet Direct Printers (Can I change?)

10. [2.5.52][USB] USB Device unusable

11. usb-ohci.c: usb-00:14.0, PCI device 10b9:5237 Hang in installation Redhat8

12. 2.4.17 usbnet usb.c: USB device not accepting new address

13. USB 2.0 device assigned as USB 1.1