Reworking the selection API and moving it to userspace (gpm)?

Reworking the selection API and moving it to userspace (gpm)?

Post by Petr Baudi » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 05:30:18

Hello,

  About June 2001, in the era of 2.4.7 kernel, there occured a patch on LKML

selection API of kernel to allow applications to get the content of the
selection buffer etc. However, James Simmons said that he will be working on
this for 2.5 and move it to userspace completely, reworking gpm.

  Nevertheless, I didn't saw a notice about this at all since then - there's no
metion about this on linuxconsole's project homepage, in the 2.5 todo list nor
anywhere else - and as I'm looking forward for this change a lot, I would like
to ask if there's any movement in this issue. I would be even willing to help,
if possible :).

  Kind regards,

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

* UN*X programmer && admin         * IPv6 guy (XS26 co-coordinator)
* elinks maintainer                * FreeCiv AI hacker
* IRCnet local operator
.
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst
thing that can fall on them.
We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
                -- Father Brown
.
-

Post by Nico Schotteliu » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 05:40:18

> Hello,

>   About June 2001, in the era of 2.4.7 kernel, there occured a patch on LKML

> selection API of kernel to allow applications to get the content of the
> selection buffer etc. However, James Simmons said that he will be working on
> this for 2.5 and move it to userspace completely, reworking gpm.

Possibly I got a mail about that, but as I have a huge backlog, I didn't
read it.
Possibly I have never heard about that and don't know anything particular about
it.
But in fact, improving something is generally good and if I have/get some
information about that, we could include it in gpm.

Quote:> [..], I would like to ask if there's any movement in this issue.

Not here.

Quote:> I would be even willing to help, > if possible :).

Sounds good, so you're the person wrinting the patch for gpm ;)

--
{Greetings,Gruss},
Nico Schottelius

I am some kind of busy -
Do not expect an answer within 24 hours.
Instead use the telephon: +49 (0) 173 - 750 7022.

  application_pgp-signature_part
< 1K Download

Reworking the selection API and moving it to userspace (gpm)?

Post by James Simmon » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 03:30:14

Quote:> Possibly I have never heard about that and don't know anything particular about
> it.
> But in fact, improving something is generally good and if I have/get some
> information about that, we could include it in gpm.

It never really got out since I never got the chance to rework gpm.

Quote:> Sounds good, so you're the person wrinting the patch for gpm ;)

There are alos patches to get GPM working with the input api in CVS. I
can post them.

-

Reworking the selection API and moving it to userspace (gpm)?

Post by James Simmon » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 03:30:16

Quote:> However, James Simmons said that he will be working on
> this for 2.5 and move it to userspace completely, reworking gpm.

Yes I plan to move the selection code to userland.

Quote:>   Nevertheless, I didn't saw a notice about this at all since then -
> there's no metion about this on linuxconsole's project homepage, in the
> 2.5 todo list nor anywhere else - and as I'm looking forward for this
> change a lot, I would like to ask if there's any movement in this issue.
> I would be even willing to help, if possible :).

I haven't gotten around to it but I do plan to work on it. I could use all
the help I can get.

-

Post by Nico Schotteliu » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:10:15

Quote:> > However, James Simmons said that he will be working on
> > this for 2.5 and move it to userspace completely, reworking gpm.

> Yes I plan to move the selection code to userland.

Please wait until gpm-1.20.0 finally is released, so you can patch
against this.

Quote:> >   Nevertheless, I didn't saw a notice about this at all since then -
> > there's no metion about this on linuxconsole's project homepage, in the
> > 2.5 todo list nor anywhere else - and as I'm looking forward for this
> > change a lot, I would like to ask if there's any movement in this issue.
> > I would be even willing to help, if possible :).

> I haven't gotten around to it but I do plan to work on it. I could use all
> the help I can get.

Same here :)
But surely we'll help you where possible.

--
Nico Schottelius

Please don't wonder, if you recieve answers to old mails from me.
I try to remove my huge backlog currently.

Post by Nico Schotteliu » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:10:28

Quote:> > Possibly I have never heard about that and don't know anything particular about
> > it.
> > But in fact, improving something is generally good and if I have/get some
> > information about that, we could include it in gpm.

> It never really got out since I never got the chance to rework gpm.

You got it together with me.

Quote:> > Sounds good, so you're the person wrinting the patch for gpm ;)

> There are alos patches to get GPM working with the input api in CVS. I
> can post them.

Just send them.

--
Nico Schottelius

Please don't wonder, if you recieve answers to old mails from me.
I try to remove my huge backlog currently.

  application_pgp-signature_part
< 1K Download

1. Kernel<->Userspace API issue

A problem has recently been reported on the ARM lists regarding RT signal
handling.  It appears that there is an issue between glibc and the kernel,
in that glibc has a different idea of the layout of structures passed
from the kernel than the kernel itself.

I think this is a case in point that our policy on "userspace must not
include kernel headers" is completely wrong when it comes to user
space interfaces.  I believe we need is a clear set of defined user
space interface headers which contain the definition of structures and
numbers shared between user space and kernel space.  ie, include/abi
or some such.

No, glibckernheaders (or whatever it is) is NOT the solution - that
just creates yet another set of header files to potentially go out
of sync.

Comments?

Sigh.  glibc seems to have a bug.  This is the kernel's idea of ucontext:

struct ucontext {
        unsigned long     uc_flags;
        struct ucontext  *uc_link;
        stack_t           uc_stack;
        struct sigcontext uc_mcontext;
        sigset_t          uc_sigmask;   /* mask last for extensibility */

and glibc's idea:

typedef struct ucontext
  {
    unsigned long int uc_flags;
    struct ucontext *uc_link;
    __sigset_t uc_sigmask;
    stack_t uc_stack;
    mcontext_t uc_mcontext;
    long int uc_filler[5];
  } ucontext_t;

God knows where glibc got this from - it hasn't changed certainly since
2.2 kernels.  I suspect glibc has been wrong for some time.

-

2. Help with X server would be appreciated

3. Keyboard problems with gpm (Was: Linux console rectangular selection)

4. Ask your library for Linux

5. selection, gpm problem

6. Sun2 VME SCSI supported under 2.4?

7. gpm/selection problems

8. Need help: how to install /usr/bin from CDROM

9. 'selection' (gpm) mouse problem

10. (gpm | selection) Problems

11. Cross platform GUI API/language selection/performance

12. Extended selection API

13. 2.5.9-dj1, move choice selection in arch/ia64/config.in.